About This Chapter
The American Economic System - Chapter Summary
This chapter is designed to help you analyze the American economic system. You will find lessons focusing on such topics as pricing, costs and the distribution system. You will review definitions and examples to facilitate your understanding of these concepts.
You will also learn more about the sales process and taxation systems. Once you complete your study of this chapter, you should be able to:
- Discuss the cyclical phases of the U.S. economy
- Provide details about different pricing structures
- List objectives that affect pricing decision strategies
- Differentiate between marginal costs and average and total costs
- Define and describe types of distribution systems
- Detail the steps of the sales process
- Understand how tax systems work
Access these lessons from any device 24/7 and view them as frequently as necessary to gain a full understanding of each topic. You also have the option to print lesson transcripts for quick reference purposes. Determine how much you have learned and whether you need further study in any area by taking self-assessment quizzes found in each lesson.
1. The Cyclical Phases of the US Economy
Ever wish the economy would just stay still long enough for you to make some sense of it? As nice as that sounds, a stagnant economy is not a good thing. This lesson will explain why that is and examine the cyclical phases of the US economy.
2. Pricing Structure: Examples & Overview
Companies use different pricing structures to achieve different objectives. In this lesson, you'll learn about some different pricing structures and be provided examples.
3. Pricing Decisions: Profit-Oriented, Sales & Status Quo
Companies need to determine the main objective of their pricing strategy. The different objectives can be based on profit, sales, competition or customers. The end result should be customer satisfaction.
4. How Marginal Costs Differ from Average & Total Costs
A major concern for producers is trying to figure out how much something costs to make. Through using marginal costs, total costs, and average costs, producers get a much better idea of the prices they should charge.
5. Distribution System: Definition & Types
In this lesson about distribution systems we will grasp how the collaboration of various procedures is linked together to aid supply of products and services to meet demand. An ensuing quiz will test your knowledge.
6. What Is the Sales Process? - Steps & Example
Almost everyone has been subjected to the sales process. In this lesson, you'll learn about the steps in the sales process and be provided an example. A short quiz follows the lesson.
7. Principles and Systems of Taxation
In this lesson, you'll gain a better understanding of how our tax system works. Look into the different levels of taxation from the federal government to state and local governments.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FTCE Family & Consumer Science 6-12 (052): Practice & Study Guide course
- Analyzing Families
- Factors That Impact Personality Development
- Decision Making & Problem Solving in Families
- Challenges During Marriages
- Preparing for Parenthood
- Prenatal Care, Fetal Development & Childbirth
- The Development of Infants & Toddlers
- The Development of Preschoolers
- The Development of School-Aged Children
- The Development of Adolescents
- Understanding Parenting Styles
- Handling Stress & Crises
- Clothing Selection as a Consumer
- Clothing, Textiles & Technology
- Money & Resource Management
- Understanding Consumerism
- Factors That Influence Housing Selection
- Home Design Features
- Fundamentals of Nutrition & Wellness
- Providing Nutritional Care
- Nutritional Deficiencies, Eating Disorders & Addictions
- Developing Meal Planning & Service Skills
- Food Selection, Safety & Storage
- Food Preparation Methods
- Professional Knowledge of Family & Consumer Science Field
- FTCE Family & Consumer Science 6-12 Flashcards