About This Chapter
Who's It For
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering information about the Apostles will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn about the Apostles, including John, Matthew, Peter and others. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who want to learn a broad topic in a short amount of time
- Students who are looking for easy ways to identify the most important information on the topic
- Students who have fallen behind in learning about the Apostles
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning world religion (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who have limited time to study for an upcoming exam
How It Works:
- Complete each lesson in the chapter to review all key topics.
- Refer to the lesson to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with a short quiz.
- Complete your review with the Apostles chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: The lessons in this chapter cover only information you need to know.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging instruction and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Take the Apostles chapter exam to make sure you're prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any world religions question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: View lessons on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter summarizes the material students need to know about the Apostles for a standard world religion course. Topics covered include:
- The lives, deaths and important facts about the apostles Peter, John, St. Thomas, Matthew, Philip and Andrew
- The differences between apostles and disciples
- Summary and themes of the Acts of the Apostles
1. John the Apostle: Biography, Facts & Death
John the apostle was one of Jesus' closest disciples in the New Testament and was witness to some of Jesus' important acts. Read on to learn more about John's life, writings, and death.
2. St. Thomas the Apostle: Biography, Facts & Quotes
Thomas is one of the most famous - and often most disgraced - of Jesus' disciples because of the incident where he asks Jesus for physical proof of his resurrection. Read more about this and Thomas' life in this lesson.
3. Acts of the Apostles: Summary & Themes
The Acts of the Apostles tell the story of the joy, suffering, and journeys across land and sea of the disciples and early Christians. Read this lesson to find out more about this exciting story.
4. Peter the Apostle: Story, Facts & Death
In this lesson, you will learn about the life of Peter the Apostle. Jesus chose Peter as one of his first Apostles and as the first leader of the new Church.
5. Difference Between a Disciple & an Apostle
The Christian Church has many titles, two of which are disciple and apostle. But what do these terms actually mean? In this lesson, we'll define both of these and see how they are used within the Christian Gospels.
6. Philip the Apostle: Biography, Facts & Death
Philip does not play a major role in the gospels of the New Testament, but he is directly involved in some important events in Jesus' life like the miracle of the feeding of the masses, which you can learn more about in this lesson.
7. Andrew the Apostle: Biography, Facts & Death
Christians recognize 12 principal disciples of Christ, but did they all start following Jesus at the same time? In this lesson, we'll examine the life of Andrew and see what the scriptures tell us about his role in the early Church.
8. Matthew the Apostle: History, Facts & Death
Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. These four authors are known around the world. In this lesson, we're going to explore the accounts and life of Matthew, and see how he came to play a role in a major moment of world history.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Introduction to World Religions: Help and Review course
- Bygone Religions: Help and Review
- World Religion: Hinduism: Help and Review
- World Religion: Buddhism: Help and Review
- World Religion: Confucianism: Help and Review
- World Religion: Taoism: Help and Review
- World Religion: Islam: Help and Review
- World Religion: Judaism: Help and Review
- World Religion: Christianity: Help and Review
- Catholic Saints
- Overview of Jainism