About This Chapter
How it works:
- Identify which concepts are covered on your atmosphere homework.
- Find videos on those topics within this chapter.
- Watch fun videos, pausing and reviewing as needed.
- Complete sample problems and get instant feedback.
- Finish your atmosphere homework with ease!
Topics from your homework you'll be able to complete:
- Major components of the atmosphere
- The structure of the atmosphere
- Effects of solar radiation
- Mechanisms of heat transfer
- Effects of humidity
- Cloud formation
- Causes and effects of greenhouse gases
- Precipitation formation
- Climate classifications
- Causes and effects of air pollution
1. Major Components of the Atmosphere
Our atmosphere is a complex mixture of many different gases. In this video lesson you will identify the major components of Earth's atmosphere as well as how much there is of each.
2. The Structure of the Atmosphere
If you've ever climbed a mountain or been to the beach, you know that the atmosphere is different at different levels. This lesson explains how the structure of the atmosphere is really like a layer cake.
3. What is Solar Radiation? - Definition & Effects
The sun plays an important role to us on Earth. It provides many things such as light and warmth. But, what is solar radiation and how does it affect us? In this video lesson, you'll learn about solar radiation, how it allows us to survive, and the influence it has on our global climate.
4. Temperature, Clouds, Wind & Humidity on the Atmospheric Cycle
Weather is the current state of the atmosphere and is determined by factors like temperature, pressure and humidity. These factors that cause periodic changes in the Earth's air masses are explored in this lesson.
5. Mechanisms of Heat Transfer: Conduction, Convection & Radiation
There are three main ways that heat is transferred between substances or objects. In this video lesson you'll learn about each one, and identify the differences between them.
6. What is Humidity? - Definition, Measurements & Effects
Humidity is an important aspect of the atmosphere because it affects both weather and climate. In this video lesson you will learn about the different types of humidity and understand how temperature affects water vapor in the air.
7. What is Cloud Formation? - Definition, Types & Process
There are many different types of clouds that form in the sky. In this video lesson you will learn about how clouds form, as well as the different types of clouds and how they are classified.
8. Air Lift: Definition & Processes
In this video lesson, you will learn about air lift. You will also identify the different ways air is lifted, as well as some of the effects each mechanism has.
9. What is Precipitation? - Definition, Types & Formation
Precipitation comes in many forms, but it all comes from the same general process. In this video lesson you will identify different types of precipitation, as well as how precipitation forms in the atmosphere from condensation.
10. Climate Classifications & Their Global Distribution
Earth has many climates, but we can categorize them based on common characteristics. In this video lesson you will identify the 5 major climate classifications on Earth, as well as where on Earth these climates are found.
11. Natural Factors That Determine a Region's Climate
Climate is influenced by factors like atmosphere, ocean currents, landforms and plate tectonics. This lesson explains how these effects affect our weather patterns, which determine climate.
12. Global Warming: Atmospheric Causes and Effect on Climate
Global warming is a multifaceted, complex issue. It involves both natural and human causes that can increase the amount of greenhouse gases. This lesson looks at some of the facts about global warming and how they could contribute to climate change.
13. The Ozone Layer: Importance and the Harmful Effects of Thinning
In this lesson, you will learn the importance of the ozone layer and how it is depleted. You will also study the research and policy that has been instrumental in its recovery.
14. Greenhouse Gases and the Enhanced Greenhouse Effect
In this video lesson, you will learn about the five main greenhouse gases and how their unnaturally high concentrations are leading to the enhanced greenhouse effect and global climate change on Earth.
15. What Is Air Pollution? - Definition, Sources & Types
In this video lesson, you will learn about the sources and types of air pollution. You will be able to identify the six classes of air pollutants identified by the Environmental Protection Agency and the Clean Air Act of 1970.
16. Troposphere: Definition, Facts, Temperature & Characteristics
Learn the definition of the troposphere and its role in Earth's atmosphere. Understand the characteristics associated with it, and appreciate its importance to Earth.
17. Why is the Sunset Red?
At the end of the day as the sun gets lower and lower on the horizon, the sun and the sky around it turn astonishing shades of red and orange, resulting in a beautiful sunset. In this lesson, we will explain exactly why that happens, and you will never look at a sunset the same way again!
18. Why is the Moon Red?
It may be scary or really cool, depending on how you take it, but a red Moon does not spell doom. Find out why it's really red whether it's near the horizon or overhead.
19. What is a Blue Moon? - Meaning & Cycle
Sometimes, a rare event called a blue moon occurs and this phenomenon has inspired the popular idiom ''once in a blue moon''. In this lesson, learn more about what a blue moon is and how often it occurs.
20. Why Does the Moon Turn Orange?
Have you ever seen the moon turn a beautiful or scary orange, or even an orange-red color? Did you ever wonder why this occurs? This lesson explains why it sometimes looks white and why other times it looks orange.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Earth Science: Homework Help Resource course
- Earth Science Basics: Homework Help
- Geologic Time and Earth Science: Homework Help
- Properties of Matter: Homework Help
- Earth's Spheres and Internal Structure: Homework Help
- Plate Tectonics: Homework Help
- Minerals and Rocks: Homework Help
- Igneous Rocks: Homework Help
- Volcanoes: Homework Help
- Weathering and Erosion: Homework Help
- Sedimentary Rocks - A Deeper Look: Homework Help
- Metamorphic Rocks - A Deeper Look: Homework Help
- Rock Deformation and Mountain Building: Homework Help
- Water Balance: Homework Help
- Running Water: Homework Help
- Ground Water: Homework Help
- Glaciers: Homework Help
- Oceans: Homework Help
- Coastal Hazards: Homework Help
- Weather and Storms: Homework Help
- Earthquakes: Homework Help
- Earth History: Homework Help
- Energy Resources: Homework Help