About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Atmosphere chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday|| Major Components of the Atmosphere; |
The Structure of the Atmosphere;
| The gases that make up the atmosphere; |
The layers that compose the atmosphere;
The benefits of solar radiation
|Tuesday||The Atmospheric Cycle||Temperature, wind, humidity and clouds|
|Wednesday|| Natural Factors that Determine a Region's Climate; |
Climate Classifications and Their Global Distribution
| The influences of ocean currents and plate tectonics on a climate; |
Earth's five main climates
|Thursday|| Global Warming and Climate Change; |
Greenhouse Gases and the Enhanced Greenhouse Effect;
The Ozone Layer
| Causes, effects, and strategies to prevent climate change; |
The effects of the five major greenhouse gases;
Importance of the ozone layer
|Friday|| Air Pollution; |
| Air pollution and its causes, control of air pollution, indoor air pollution; |
Causes and effects of acid deposition
1. Major Components of the Atmosphere
Our atmosphere is a complex mixture of many different gases. In this video lesson you will identify the major components of Earth's atmosphere as well as how much there is of each.
2. The Structure of the Atmosphere
If you've ever climbed a mountain or been to the beach, you know that the atmosphere is different at different levels. This lesson explains how the structure of the atmosphere is really like a layer cake.
3. What is Solar Radiation? - Definition & Effects
The sun plays an important role to us on Earth. It provides many things such as light and warmth. But, what is solar radiation and how does it affect us? In this video lesson, you'll learn about solar radiation, how it allows us to survive, and the influence it has on our global climate.
4. Temperature, Clouds, Wind & Humidity on the Atmospheric Cycle
Weather is the current state of the atmosphere and is determined by factors like temperature, pressure and humidity. These factors that cause periodic changes in the Earth's air masses are explored in this lesson.
5. Climate Classifications & Their Global Distribution
Earth has many climates, but we can categorize them based on common characteristics. In this video lesson you will identify the 5 major climate classifications on Earth, as well as where on Earth these climates are found.
6. Natural Factors That Determine a Region's Climate
Climate is influenced by factors like atmosphere, ocean currents, landforms and plate tectonics. This lesson explains how these effects affect our weather patterns, which determine climate.
7. Global Warming: Atmospheric Causes and Effect on Climate
Global warming is a multifaceted, complex issue. It involves both natural and human causes that can increase the amount of greenhouse gases. This lesson looks at some of the facts about global warming and how they could contribute to climate change.
8. What Is Air Pollution? - Definition, Sources & Types
In this video lesson, you will learn about the sources and types of air pollution. You will be able to identify the six classes of air pollutants identified by the Environmental Protection Agency and the Clean Air Act of 1970.
9. Controlling Air Pollution: How Developed & Developing Nations Differ
In this lesson, you will learn how air pollution is controlled in developed and developing nations. You will also learn about the U.S. Clean Air Act and how it has evolved over the years to address air pollution in the United States.
10. What Is Indoor Air Pollution? - Definition, Sources & Effects
In this video lesson, you will learn the harmful effects of indoor air pollution. You will also gain an understanding of the sources of indoor air pollution, and how they differ between developed and developing nations.
11. Greenhouse Gases and the Enhanced Greenhouse Effect
In this video lesson, you will learn about the five main greenhouse gases and how their unnaturally high concentrations are leading to the enhanced greenhouse effect and global climate change on Earth.
12. Global Climate Change: Effects and Mitigation Strategies
In this video lesson, you will learn about the potential effects of global climate change. You will also learn how some are working to better understand climate change in order to slow the rate of temperature increase on Earth.
13. The Ozone Layer: Importance and the Harmful Effects of Thinning
In this lesson, you will learn the importance of the ozone layer and how it is depleted. You will also study the research and policy that has been instrumental in its recovery.
14. Acid Deposition: Definition, Causes & Effects
In this video lesson, you will learn what causes acid deposition and how it forms in the atmosphere. You will also see some examples of the damage that acid deposition can cause to natural ecosystems and man-made structures.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AP Environmental Science Syllabus Resource & Lesson Plans course
- Introduction to Environmental Science Lesson Plans
- Geological Dating Lesson Plans
- Continental Drift Lesson Plans
- Earthquake Components Lesson Plans
- Volcano Types Lesson Plans
- Weather & Storms Lesson Plans
- Water Cycle Lesson Plans
- Running Water Types Lesson Plans
- Groundwater System Lesson Plans
- Glaciers Processes Lesson Plans
- Ocean Characteristics Lesson Plans
- Water Conversion Lesson Plans
- Minerals, Rocks & Soil Lesson Plans
- Ecosystems Lesson Plans
- Organism Interactions Lesson Plans
- Evolving Ecosystems Lesson Plans
- Biological Science Lesson Plans
- Human Population Lesson Plans
- Food & Agricultural Resources Lesson Plans
- Land Use Lesson Plans
- Mining & Fishing Lesson Plans
- Energy Concepts Lesson Plans
- Renewable Resource Types Lesson Plans
- Nonrenewable Resource Types Lesson Plans
- Solid & Hazardous Waste Lesson Plans
- Human Environmental Impact Lesson Plans
- Environmental Sustainability Concepts Lesson Plans
- Analyzing Environmental Risk Lesson Plans
- Global Environmental Economics Lesson Plans
- Environmental Politics Lesson Plans