About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other earth science work.
- Identify the atmosphere concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our earth science tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn about the atmosphere and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding solar radiation, cloud formation, air lift, humidity, precipitation or any other atmosphere topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their science learning
- Prefer learning science visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their atmosphere unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in earth science
- Don't have access to their science teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about the atmosphere simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live earth science tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn about the atmosphere on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- List the major components of the atmosphere.
- Describe the structure of the atmosphere.
- Learn the effects of solar radiation.
- Discuss the effects of temperature, wind, humidity and clouds on the atmospheric cycle.
- Understand the different mechanisms of heat transfer.
- Explain the role of humidity in the atmosphere.
- Describe the process of cloud formation.
- Discuss the factors that contribute to air lift.
- Learn how precipitation forms.
- Understand how climates are classified.
- Explain how a region's climate is determined by long-term weather patterns.
- Discuss the causes and effects of global warming.
- Learn the role of the ozone layer and describe the effects of ozone depletion.
- Understand the causes of the greenhouse effect.
- Identify sources of air pollution.
1. Major Components of the Atmosphere
Our atmosphere is a complex mixture of many different gases. In this video lesson you will identify the major components of Earth's atmosphere as well as how much there is of each.
2. The Structure of the Atmosphere
If you've ever climbed a mountain or been to the beach, you know that the atmosphere is different at different levels. This lesson explains how the structure of the atmosphere is really like a layer cake.
3. What is Solar Radiation? - Definition & Effects
The sun plays an important role to us on Earth. It provides many things such as light and warmth. But, what is solar radiation and how does it affect us? In this video lesson, you'll learn about solar radiation, how it allows us to survive, and the influence it has on our global climate.
4. Temperature, Clouds, Wind & Humidity on the Atmospheric Cycle
Weather is the current state of the atmosphere and is determined by factors like temperature, pressure and humidity. These factors that cause periodic changes in the Earth's air masses are explored in this lesson.
5. Mechanisms of Heat Transfer: Conduction, Convection & Radiation
There are three main ways that heat is transferred between substances or objects. In this video lesson you'll learn about each one, and identify the differences between them.
6. What is Humidity? - Definition, Measurements & Effects
Humidity is an important aspect of the atmosphere because it affects both weather and climate. In this video lesson you will learn about the different types of humidity and understand how temperature affects water vapor in the air.
7. What is Cloud Formation? - Definition, Types & Process
There are many different types of clouds that form in the sky. In this video lesson you will learn about how clouds form, as well as the different types of clouds and how they are classified.
8. Air Lift: Definition & Processes
In this video lesson, you will learn about air lift. You will also identify the different ways air is lifted, as well as some of the effects each mechanism has.
9. What is Precipitation? - Definition, Types & Formation
Precipitation comes in many forms, but it all comes from the same general process. In this video lesson you will identify different types of precipitation, as well as how precipitation forms in the atmosphere from condensation.
10. Climate Classifications & Their Global Distribution
Earth has many climates, but we can categorize them based on common characteristics. In this video lesson you will identify the 5 major climate classifications on Earth, as well as where on Earth these climates are found.
11. Natural Factors That Determine a Region's Climate
Climate is influenced by factors like atmosphere, ocean currents, landforms and plate tectonics. This lesson explains how these effects affect our weather patterns, which determine climate.
12. Global Warming: Atmospheric Causes and Effect on Climate
Global warming is a multifaceted, complex issue. It involves both natural and human causes that can increase the amount of greenhouse gases. This lesson looks at some of the facts about global warming and how they could contribute to climate change.
13. The Ozone Layer: Importance and the Harmful Effects of Thinning
In this lesson, you will learn the importance of the ozone layer and how it is depleted. You will also study the research and policy that has been instrumental in its recovery.
14. Greenhouse Gases and the Enhanced Greenhouse Effect
In this video lesson, you will learn about the five main greenhouse gases and how their unnaturally high concentrations are leading to the enhanced greenhouse effect and global climate change on Earth.
15. What Is Air Pollution? - Definition, Sources & Types
In this video lesson, you will learn about the sources and types of air pollution. You will be able to identify the six classes of air pollutants identified by the Environmental Protection Agency and the Clean Air Act of 1970.
16. Tropopause: Definition & Characteristics
This lesson introduces and describes the tropopause. It helps the reader to understand the structure of our atmosphere and the transition between atmospheric layers. A summary and brief quiz is also included.
17. What is an Isobar? - Definition & Examples
Learn the definition of an isobar, then explore the way in which they are applied on a map and what they show. After completing the lesson, you'll understand why isobars are useful tools for predicting weather.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Earth Science: Tutoring Solution course
- Earth Science Basics: Tutoring Solution
- Geologic Time and Earth Science: Tutoring Solution
- Properties of Matter: Tutoring Solution
- Earth's Spheres and Internal Structure: Tutoring Solution
- Plate Tectonics: Tutoring Solution
- Minerals and Rocks: Tutoring Solution
- Igneous Rocks: Tutoring Solution
- Volcanoes: Tutoring Solution
- Weathering and Erosion: Tutoring Solution
- Sedimentary Rocks - A Deeper Look: Tutoring Solution
- Metamorphic Rocks - A Deeper Look: Tutoring Solution
- Rock Deformation and Mountain Building: Tutoring Solution
- Water Balance: Tutoring Solution
- Running Water: Tutoring Solution
- Ground Water: Tutoring Solution
- Glaciers: Tutoring Solution
- Oceans: Tutoring Solution
- Coastal Hazards: Tutoring Solution
- Weather and Storms: Tutoring Solution
- Earthquakes: Tutoring Solution
- Earth History: Tutoring Solution
- Energy Resources: Tutoring Solution