About This Chapter
The Basics of Thermodynamics - Chapter Summary
If you need help understanding the basics of thermodynamics, you've reached the right place! Our instructors have developed engaging lessons you can access anytime to improve your comprehension of the first and second laws of thermodynamics, entropy and much more. Feel free to review the lessons in this chapter in any sequence and as often as you'd like to enhance your understanding of these concepts. Around-the-clock access lets you to study whenever you schedule permits. Multiple-choice quizzes and a practice exam can gauge your grasp of this chapter. Taking advantage of these resources can ensure you're able to:
- Share examples of the first law of thermodynamics
- Define the second law of thermodynamics and explain how energy works
- Make calculations of entropy for a closed system
- Provide the definition of a heat engine and make calculations involving its efficiency
- Explain the meaning of the zeroth law of thermodynamics
- Complete thermodynamics practice problems
1. The Zeroth Law of Thermodynamics
After watching this video, you will be able to state the zeroth law of thermodynamics, what it means, and why it is important. A short quiz will follow.
2. First Law of Thermodynamics: Law of Conservation of Energy
This video describes the first law of thermodynamics. Several examples of the application of this law are discussed. The significance of the law and its practical application are discussed as well.
3. Second Law of Thermodynamics: Entropy and Systems
In this lesson, we'll learn about the second law of thermodynamics. By studying this law, you'll understand how energy works and why we're all moving towards eventual chaos and disorder.
4. Entropy: Equation & Calculations
After watching this lesson, you will be able to apply the concept of entropy to real life situations and complete calculations of entropy for a closed system. A short quiz will follow.
5. Heat Engines & Efficiency
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to explain what a heat engine is, how it works from a thermodynamic perspective, and complete some simple calculations involving the efficiency of a heat engine. A short quiz will follow.
6. Thermodynamics Practice Problems & Solutions
Heat energy flows from warmer objects to cooler objects. In this lesson, we will focus on entropy, which is the disorder of a system. We will also determine the efficiency of some heat engines that utilize temperature gradients to do work.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Physics 112: Physics II course
- Energy Transfers in Physics
- Heat Transfer & Interaction
- Ideal Gas Law & Kinetic Theory
- Light & Electromagnetic Waves
- Mirrors & Lenses in Geometric Optics
- Basics of Electrostatics
- Magnetism Basics
- Series, Parallel & Combined Circuits
- Capacitors, Inductors & Alternating Current
- Modern Quantum Theory
- Basic Nuclear Physics
- General & Special Relativity
- Studying for Physics 112