About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Blood Vessels chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday||Blood Vessels: Arteries, Capillaries and More||The blood vessels and veins of the circulatory system|
|Tuesday||Major Blood Vessels Between the Heart and Lungs: Pulmonary Trunk, Arteries and Veins||The functions of the pulmonary circuit, pulmonary arteries and capillary beds|
|Wednesday||Major Blood Vessels That Carry Blood Away From the Heart||A look at the coronary arteries as well as the aorta, the body's largest artery|
|Thursday||Major Blood Vessels: Descending Aorta - Thoracic and Abdominal Aorta||An examination of the thoracic and abdominal aorta, which make up the descending aorta|
|Friday||Major Blood Vessels Leading to the Heart: Superior Vena Cava, Inferior Vena Cava and Coronary Sinus||The major veins that transport blood to the heart|
1. Blood Vessels: Arteries, Capillaries & More
In this lesson, you will take a trip around the circulatory system and encounter the various blood vessels, including arteries, veins, and capillaries. Come along as we follow the path to every cell of your body.
2. Major Blood Vessels Between the Heart and Lungs: Pulmonary Trunk, Arteries & Veins
In this lesson you will learn about the main blood vessels that travel between the heart and lungs. You will also discover that these arteries and veins follow a somewhat unusual pattern.
3. Major Blood Vessels That Carry Blood Away From the Heart
Do you know which arteries are typically blocked during a heart attack? In this lesson, you will learn about the major blood vessels that feed the heart, brain and upper body. Then, find out what causes the pain known as angina.
4. Major Blood Vessels: Descending Aorta - Thoracic and Abdominal Aorta
The aorta is the largest artery of your body, and it is a strong and sturdy vessel. In this lesson, you will learn about its downward path through the chest and abdomen and discover the organs and structures supplied by its branches.
5. Major Blood Vessels Leading to the Heart: Superior Vena Cava, Inferior Vena Cava & Coronary Sinus
In this lesson, you will learn about the main blood vessel that returns blood to the heart called the Venae Cavae. You'll also learn about its two sections: the Superior and Inferior Vena Cava. You will then discover the special drainage system for the heart called the Coronary Sinus.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Life Science Curriculum Resource & Lesson Plans course
- Introduction to Life Science Lesson Plans
- Characteristics & Chemicals of Life Lesson Plans
- The Parts of Cells Lesson Plans
- DNA Replication & Mutation Lesson Plans
- Cell Division & the Cell Cycle Lesson Plans
- Energy in Living Organisms Lesson Plans
- Classification of Organisms Lesson Plans
- The Origin & History of Life On Earth Lesson Plans
- Genetics & Hereditary Traits Lesson Plans
- Genetic Engineering Basics Lesson Plans
- Natural Selection & Evolution Lesson Plans
- Microbiology & Types of Microbes Lesson Plans
- Introduction to Ecosystems Lesson Plans
- Types of Ecosystems Lesson Plans
- Changing Ecosystems Lesson Plans
- Invertebrates Lesson Plans
- Birds & Mammals Lesson Plans
- Animal Behavior & Communication Lesson Plans
- Mammal Reproduction & Development Lesson Plans
- The Respiratory System Lesson Plans
- The Cardiovascular System Lesson Plans
- The Digestive System Lesson Plans
- The Urinary & Endocrine Systems Lesson Plans
- The Brain & Nervous System Lesson Plans
- The Muscular System Lesson Plans
- The Skeletal System & Connective Tissue Lesson Plans
- Sight, Hearing & Other Senses Lesson Plans
- Health Issues & Concerns Lesson Plans
- Plant Biology & Structure Lesson Plans
- Plant Growth & Reproduction Lesson Plans
- Environmental Concerns Lesson Plans
- Natural Resources Lesson Plans