About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help summarizing The Book Thief will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to review the novel's plot, major events, and conflicts. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who want to learn a broad topic in a short amount of time
- Students who are looking for easy ways to identify the most important information on the topic
- Students who have fallen behind in memorizing the plot of the novel
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning about literature (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who have limited time to study for an upcoming exam
How It Works:
- Complete each lesson in the chapter to review all key topics.
- Refer to the lesson to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with a short quiz.
- Complete your review with the The Book Thief Summaries chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: The lessons in this chapter cover only information you need to know.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging instruction and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Take The Book Thief Summaries chapter exam to make sure you're prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any literature question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: View lessons on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter summarizes the material students need to know about the story of The Book Thief for a standard literature course. Topics covered include:
- Analysis of the book's prologue
- Summaries of all ten parts of the novel
- An examination of The Book Thief's ending
1. The Book Thief Prologue
The prologue of 'The Book Thief' by Markus Zusak is an important read because it plants seeds of events that will happen much later in the story. The narrator - Death - discusses each time he meets the protagonist, the book thief, yet leaves plenty for the reader to discover later.
2. The Book Thief Part 1 Summary
Liesel Meminger travels by train to meet her new foster family in Germany in the 1930s. She experiences death, book stealing, nightmares, races, and bullies. In this lesson, we'll read about Liesel's life in Part 1 of ''The Book Thief'', by Markus Zusak.
3. The Book Thief Part 2 Summary
Life in Nazi Germany is difficult: food is scarce, the fear of Hitler is always looming, and families are separated, both literally and figuratively. Liesel, our protagonist, finds her way in the Hubermann household and in her new town, Molching, and learns some information that will change her life forever.
4. The Book Thief Part 3 Summary
Part Three is titled 'Mein Kampf,' or 'my struggle', and the name is appropriate for a number of reasons. While it is the title of Hitler's autobiography and plan for Germany, it also explains the current situation for many characters. Read on to learn more.
5. The Book Thief Part 4 Summary
Part 4 of 'The Book Thief' deals with Max's arrival to the Hubermanns' house and the unlikely friendship he forms with the book thief, Liesel. Read on to learn more about Max and the tiny taste of freedom and humanity he feels while with the Hubermanns.
6. The Book Thief Part 5 Summary
This lesson will summarize Part 5 of Markus Zusak's 'The Book Thief'. You'll read about important characters, including Liesel, Rudy and Max. You'll also learn about major events that occurred in this section of 'The Book Thief'.
7. The Book Thief Part 6 Summary
Readers get a glimpse of Death operating in wartime - during air-raids and in concentration camps. Liesel gets a couple major scares in Part Six, but fortunately for her, all is good...for now.
8. The Book Thief Part 7 Summary
Despite the horrid wartime conditions for many people in WWII Europe, for Leisel Meminger the summer of 1942 was a happy time. Read on to learn about her short-lived happiness and the events that turned it on its head in Part 7 of 'The Book Thief.'
9. The Book Thief Part 8 Summary
If things couldn't get any harder for the characters who live on Himmel Street, they do in Part 8 of ~'The Book Thief.~' Both Alex Steiner and Hans Hubermann find themselves in an undesirable situation, and their families are left behind to hold it together.
10. The Book Thief Part 9 Summary
The grit of war continues for the people of Himmel Street in Part Nine of 'The Book Thief.' While Liesel receives some great news, Rudy still struggles and Death is kept quite busy. Read the following lesson to learn the latest about the characters in this story.
11. The Book Thief Part 10 Summary
Part 10 is an incredibly moving conclusion to what the readers have known as Himmel Street. Read the following lesson to learn the events leading up to and that make up 'the end of the world' for Liesel.
12. The Book Thief Ending
All is wrapped up in the ending of ''The Book Thief''. Find out what happens to the story's book thief, and our favorite narrator, Death, and the time they finally meet.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.