About This Chapter
The Brain's Role in Mental Processes - Chapter Summary
Studying the brain's role in mental processes is made easy thanks to fun lessons you can examine around-the-clock using any computer or mobile device with an Internet connection. Get a quality understanding of the parts and functions of the brain from a psychological standpoint. In no time, you will be ready to do the following:
- Discuss Descartes' ideas on dualism
- Define phrenology, and describe the theory behind its practice
- Share information about research and experiments that examine the split brain concept
- Explain the brain damage and personality changes of Phineas Gage
- Identify and describe the functions of Broca's area and Wernicke's area
- Describe the techniques used to study the brain and its behavior
Navigate this chapter's lessons at the pace that matches your study and learning habits. Review them in the sequence and at the frequency that guarantees you fully understand the brain's role in mental processes. Assess your comprehension of the concepts you examine by taking multiple-choice lesson quizzes. A practice exam is also available to test your understanding of this chapter.
1. Dualism and Early Psychological Thought
Sometimes it can feel like your mind and body are completely separate from each other. Watch this lesson to find out about what the philosopher Descartes termed dualism, including its relationship to psychology and the types of dualism.
2. Franz Joseph Gall & Phrenology Theory: Definition & Overview
Learn about phrenology. Understand the theory behind its practice and how it was used to help explain human personality and behavior. Learn about its important role in the development of neurology.
3. Split Brain: Definition, Research & Experiments
Our brains contain two hemispheres. What happens if you disconnect those hemispheres from one another? This lesson addresses that question through an investigation into the concept of a split brain.
4. Phineas Gage's Story in Psychology: Brain Damage & Personality Changes
The story of Phineas Gage is one of the most famous in the history of psychology. Learn about Phineas Gage, the accident that caused him to have personality changes, and how he greatly influenced the field and practice of neuropsychology.
5. Broca's Area: Function & Definition
The brain is very complex and is composed of many crucial parts. Each of these parts perform a specific function. In this lesson you will learn about Broca's area.
6. Wernicke's Area: Function & Location
Wernicke's area is an important part of the brain that is involved with helping us to understand spoken language. This lesson will cover where Wernicke's area is located in the brain, how it works, and a little bit about how it was discovered.
7. Techniques to Study the Brain and Behavior
Why do you behave the way you do? Human behavior begins in the brain. To study the brain, psychologists use a variety of tools, like EEG, PET and CAT scans, MRI, DTI, and studying pathology in individuals.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the VCE Psychology: Exam Prep & Study Guide course
- Brain Structure & Function
- Brain Plasticity & Damage
- Understanding The Nervous System
- Nervous System Functioning
- Technology & the Brain
- Psychological Development in Childhood
- Atypical Psychological Development
- Thoughts, Emotions & Behavior
- Sensation & Perception Overview
- Cognition & Intelligence
- Social Cognition Overview
- Social Influences on Behavior
- Understanding Stress
- Models of Learning
- Understanding Memory
- Consciousness & Sleep
- Mental Health Disorders Overview
- Phobias Overview
- Mental Health Maintenance
- Psychological Studies
- Communication Skills for Psychology
- VCE Psychology Flashcards