About This Chapter
The Brezhnev Years of the Cold War - Chapter Summary
From the Brezhnev Doctrine to stagnation, this chapter is designed to provide a full study of Brezhnev's rule during the Cold War. You can review details about this doctrine, Russian life under Brezhnev and the relationship between the U.S. and the Soviet Union during these years. Lessons are presented in video and text formats and take only 5-10 minutes to review. Their 24/7 accessibility from any device allows for you to create a flexible study schedule, if needed. Determine the depth of your knowledge and readiness in moving on to other topics using brief lesson quizzes. Once you are finished with this chapter, you should be able to:
- Provide details of the Brezhnev Doctrine
- List the political, social and economic aspects of the Era of Stagnation
- Explain the ideology of the Soviet Union under Brezhnev's rule
- Detail Cold War policies of President Richard Nixon
1. The Brezhnev Doctrine's Influence on Eastern Europe
In this lesson, we explore the Soviet Union's grip on Eastern Europe in the second half of the 20th century and the Brezhnev Doctrine, which dictated its actions in several countries.
2. Era of Stagnation in Russia: Causes & Effects
In this lesson, we will learn about the Era of Stagnation in Russia from political, social and economic aspects. We will discuss causes of the stagnation and give a brief overview of some of its consequences.
3. Life in the USSR Under Brezhnev: Ideological & Political Dissent
This lesson provides an overview of life in the Soviet Union under the rule of Brezhnev, focusing on dissent. We'll look at the rise of Soviet dissent, its views and ideologies, as well as its consequences and impact on the Soviet Union.
4. Détente, the Cold War & Nixon: Definition & Policy
Détente marked a shift in Cold War policy under President Nixon. It was designed to relax tensions with the Soviet Union, reduce nuclear arsenals, and limit military commitments.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the DSST History of the Soviet Union: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Russian History in 16-18th Century
- Nineteenth Century Russia
- The Russian Revolutionary Period
- Pre-War Stalinism
- The Soviet Union & The Second World War
- Post-War Stalinism & The Cold War
- The Khrushchev Years of the Cold War
- Proxy Wars During the Cold War
- Reform & Collapse in the USSR
- DSST Informational Resources
- DSST History of the Soviet Union Flashcards