About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering each chapter of The Cay will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn about chapters in The Cay. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who want to learn a broad topic in a short amount of time
- Students who are looking for easy ways to identify the most important information on the topic
- Students who have fallen behind in memorizing basic details in each chapter in The Cay
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who have limited time to study for an upcoming exam
How It Works:
- Complete each lesson in the chapter to review all key topics.
- Refer to the lesson to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with a short quiz.
- Complete your review with the The Cay Chapter Summaries chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: The lessons in this chapter cover only information you need to know.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging instruction and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Take the The Cay Chapter Summaries chapter exam to make sure you're prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any literature question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: View lessons on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter summarizes the material students need to know about each chapter in The Cay for a standard literature course. Topics covered include:
- Summaries of chapters 1-8 of The Cay
- The Cay summaries of chapters 9-14
- What's found in chapters 15-19 of The Cay
1. The Cay Chapter 1 Summary
''The Cay'' by Theodore Taylor is an exciting novel of adventure, survival, and friendship. Read on for a summary of chapter one, in which we meet Phillip and enter into his far-away world of the Dutch West Indies.
2. The Cay Chapter 2 Summary
In Chapter One of ''The Cay'', we met the narrator, Phillip, who lives on the island of Curacao in the Caribbean Sea. The Germans have just bombed a neighboring island and Curacao has no defense. Read on to find out what happens to Phillip next.
3. The Cay Chapter 3 Summary
Chapter two of 'The Cay' ends with Phillip and his mother on board the ship 'S. S. Hato', sailing away from Curacao on their way to Virginia. What will happen on their journey? Read on for a summary of chapter three.
4. The Cay Chapter 4 Summary
At the end of Chapter 3 of The Cay, Phillip and Timothy are on the raft with a little drinking water and only raw fish for food. Although it seems like things are bad, we find out in Chapter 4 that things can get even worse.
5. The Cay Chapter 5 Summary
In chapter four of ''The Cay'', Phillip woke up to find out that he was blind. He responded in fear and anger. Chapter five begins with Phillip and Timothy still aboard the raft. What will happen next?
6. The Cay Chapter 6 Summary
In the previous chapter of ''The Cay,'' Timothy began to act as Phillip's eyes. In chapter six, we will see another way that Timothy helps Phillip, and learn about something important that Timothy sees, too.
7. The Cay Chapter 7 Summary
In chapter six of ''The Cay,'' Timothy spotted a small island about two miles from the raft. He and Phillip are heading to the island. Read on to find out what happens in chapter seven as they land on the island.
8. The Cay Chapter 8 Summary
In chapter seven of ''The Cay,'' Phillip and Timothy explore the island. They are worried that rescue will be harder because of its location, but Timothy is optimistic. Read on to find out what happens next to Timothy and Phillip on their cay.
9. The Cay Chapter 9 Summary
In chapter eight of ''The Cay,'' Phillip is finally able to help Timothy by showing him how to write HELP in the sand. Let's find out how Phillip is able to help in chapter nine.
10. The Cay Chapter 10 Summary
In chapter nine of The Cay, Phillip finally realized that he wants to be friends with Timothy. In chapter ten, we learn more about their growing friendship. Let's review chapter 10 in this lesson.
11. The Cay Chapter 11 Summary
In chapter ten of ''The Cay'', Phillip and Timothy experience some good luck as a tropical rain cools and cleanses them while refilling their water keg. In chapter eleven, their luck begins to change.
12. The Cay Chapter 12 Summary
At the end of chapter eleven of ''The Cay,'' Phillip says that their luck is about to get worse. In this summary of chapter twelve, we will find out what happens next to Phillip and Timothy.
13. The Cay Chapter 13 Summary
In Chapter 12 of ''The Cay,'' Timothy got sick with malaria and Phillip took care of him. Read this summary of Chapter 13 to see how Phillip helps Timothy in new ways.
14. The Cay Chapter 14 Summary
In chapter 13 of The Cay, Phillip uses his knowledge to share stories with Timothy. In chapter 14, Timothy uses his knowledge and experience to help them prepare for a storm.
15. The Cay Chapter 15 Summary
In chapter 14 of ''The Cay'', Timothy and Phillip prepare for a tempest that is coming to their cay. Read this summary of chapter 15 to find out what happens to them when the storm arrives.
16. The Cay Chapter 16 Summary
In Chapter 15 of ''The Cay,'' a strong tempest damaged the island. Timothy is dead. Now Phillip must clean up after the storm and learn how to survive alone.
17. The Cay Chapter 17 Summary
In chapter 16 of ''The Cay,'' Phillip is learning to get by without Timothy. In chapter seventeen, he tries something new and gets frightening results. Read on to find out what happens.
18. The Cay Chapter 18 Summary
In chapter 17 of The Cay, Phillip tried something that used to be Timothy's job - diving for langosta. Let's find out what happens in chapter 18, when he tries to do another job that Timothy used to do for him - lighting the signal fire.
19. The Cay Chapter 19 Summary
In Chapter 18 of The Cay, a plane passed close to the island three times before leaving. Phillip was discouraged that it didn't see his signal fire. In Chapter 19, we learn that the plane did see Phillip's fire. Read on to find out what happens.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.