About This Chapter
The Cell Cycle, Mitosis & Meiosis - Chapter Summary
In these lessons, you'll learn about the cell cycle, mitosis, and meiosis. Topics covered include reductional cell division, chromosome segregation, and equational cell division. The cytokinesis phase of the cell cycle is also discussed. After completing the chapter, you should be able to do the following:
- Discuss the cell cycle, including dividing and non-dividing states
- Explain the stages and function of mitosis
- Describe the difference between cell cycle and mitosis
- Explore the mitotic spindle
- Detail phases of chromosome segregation
- List steps of meiosis
- Recognize the difference between meiosis I and meiosis II
Our subject-matter experts present the information in these short video lessons using plenty of examples to ensure the concepts are easy to understand. You can review all the lessons in order, or just look at the ones that cover the topics you need to review. A brief multiple-choice quiz is available for each lesson to test your knowledge. You can also print the lesson quizzes and use them as worksheets.
1. The Cell Cycle: Definition, Phases & Sequence
Learn about the dividing and non-dividing states of the cell and discover the different phases of the cell cycle, including interphase, cytokinesis, and the stages of cell division.
2. What is Mitosis? - Definition, Stages & Function
Every day your body cells are dividing using a process called mitosis. This allows you to grow and replace damaged or worn out cells. Learn about the stages of mitosis: prophase, metaphase, anaphase and telophase.
3. Difference Between Cell Cycle and Mitosis
In this lesson, we'll learn the definitions of the cell cycle and of mitosis and go over the different steps involved in each. We'll also take a look at what happens to our cells and our bodies when these processes go wrong.
4. Mitotic Spindle: Definition, Formation & Function
Condensation makes DNA ready / And microtubules hold it steady / A microtubule's a fancy rope / To move the DNA is the hope / From spindle poles they do extend / To align each chromosome in the end
5. Stages of Mitosis: Description & Sequence
Let's take a second look at mitosis and focus on the phases of chromosome segregation. As we concentrate on chromosomes, you'll learn the tricky dance that takes place through all five phases of mitosis.
6. What is Meiosis? - Steps & Results
It's meiosis that gives us the male and female reproductive cells known as the egg and sperm. In meiosis, two cell divisions take place, which produces four genetically unique cells with half the number of chromosomes as the parent cell.
7. Meiosis I Stages: Prophase I, Metaphase I, Anaphase I & Telophase I
How does meiosis keep track of homologs and reduce the genome by half? Know these answers and more as we navigate the steps of meiosis I. This lesson will be tetradical!
8. Meiosis II: Definition, Stages & Comparison to Meiosis I
Behold round two of meiotic cell division! You'll see how meiosis II keeps the genome intact and gives the final push to produce haploid gametes, which make the world go round.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the BITSAT Exam - Biology: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Biological Diversity in the Living World
- The Cell: The Basic Unit of Life
- Biomolecules & Enzymes
- Genetics & DNA
- Digestive & Excretory Systems in Humans
- Respiratory System Overview
- Body Fluids & Circulation
- Movement, Control & Coordination of the Body
- Human Reproduction & Development
- Overview of Plant Structure & Function
- Photosynthesis & Respiration
- Plant Reproduction Overview
- Plant Growth & Movement
- Evolution Basics
- Ecology Overview
- Biodiversity & Environmental Issues
- Relationship Between Biology & Human Welfare
- Biotechnology & Its Applications
- BITSAT Exam - Biology Flashcards