About This Chapter
The Cell Cycle, Mitosis & Meoisis - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, our expert instructors outline the cell cycle, meiosis and mitosis for your convenient review. They shed light on topics such as cell differentiation, mitotic spindle and the stages of mitosis. After completing this chapter, you should be ready to:
- Outline the phases and sequences of the cell cycle
- Provide a description of the stages of mitosis
- Detail the importance of mitotic cell division
- Explore the process and importance of cell differentiation
- Differentiate between mitosis and the cell cycle
- Compare meiosis to mitosis
- Describe the stages of meiosis I
- Discuss how the stages of meiosis II are different from meiosis I
Our engaging learning materials are available to you 24 hours a day on any mobile device or computer. To ensure that you're keeping up, we've included quizzes with each lesson as well as a test at the end of the chapter. Utilizing these tools can help when you're preparing to take an exam. If you have any lingering questions, contact an instructor through the Dashboard.
1. The Cell Cycle: Definition, Phases & Sequence
Learn about the dividing and non-dividing states of the cell and discover the different phases of the cell cycle, including interphase, cytokinesis, and the stages of cell division.
2. Mitotic Spindle: Definition, Formation & Function
Condensation makes DNA ready / And microtubules hold it steady / A microtubule's a fancy rope / To move the DNA is the hope / From spindle poles they do extend / To align each chromosome in the end
3. Stages of Mitosis: Description & Sequence
Let's take a second look at mitosis and focus on the phases of chromosome segregation. As we concentrate on chromosomes, you'll learn the tricky dance that takes place through all five phases of mitosis.
4. Importance of Mitotic Cell Division
This lesson is on the importance of mitotic cell division. In this lesson, we'll go over what mitotic cell division is and what cells use this process. We'll also cover the main functions of cell division.
5. What Is Cell Differentiation? - Process, Importance & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn how your cells become specialized. This specialization of cells allows them to perform different functions and create different parts of your body.
6. Difference Between Cell Cycle and Mitosis
In this lesson, we'll learn the definitions of the cell cycle and of mitosis and go over the different steps involved in each. We'll also take a look at what happens to our cells and our bodies when these processes go wrong.
7. Meiosis: Comparison to Mitosis, Crossing Over & Process
Welcome to meiosis, a realm of division doubled for reproduction untroubled. You'll get a preview of both divisions of meiosis and see what it takes to go from a diploid cell to a haploid gamete.
8. Meiosis I Stages: Prophase I, Metaphase I, Anaphase I & Telophase I
How does meiosis keep track of homologs and reduce the genome by half? Know these answers and more as we navigate the steps of meiosis I. This lesson will be tetradical!
9. Meiosis II: Definition, Stages & Comparison to Meiosis I
Behold round two of meiotic cell division! You'll see how meiosis II keeps the genome intact and gives the final push to produce haploid gametes, which make the world go round.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CSET Science Subtest II Life Sciences (217): Practice & Study Guide course
- Principles of Cell Structure & Function
- The Organization & Function of Multicellular Organisms
- Matter & Energy Flow in Organisms
- Interdependent Relationships in Ecosystems
- Cycles of Matter & Energy Transfer in Ecosystems
- Biodiversity & Sustainability
- DNA & Gene Expression
- Genetics & Inheritance
- Genetic Variation & Engineering
- Overview of Biological Evolution on Earth
- The Role of Natural Selection in Biological Evolution
- Adaptation in Biological Evolution
- CSET Science Subtest 2 Life Sciences Flashcards