About This Chapter
The Classical Period in Music - Chapter Summary
This comprehensive music history chapter explores the music of the Classical period. These bite-sized lessons cover the characteristics of the period's symphonies and operas, as well as major works from Mozart, Beethoven and Haydn. You'll also study the ways in which art and music were connected during the time period. After completing the chapter, you should be able to:
- Explain the history, parts and societal importance of the symphony
- Recognize popular operas from the Classical era
- Identify Mozart's operas, symphonies and piano concerti
- Evaluate Haydn's symphonies and string quartet compositions
- Understand how Beethoven's music shifted from the Classical period to the Romantic period
- Evaluate the connection between art and music of the Classical era
To make sure you fully understand the material, we've included self-assessment quizzes and a chapter exam. You can submit questions to our expert music instructors and study whenever it fits your schedule. Lesson transcripts are available to print, and you can use your interactive course Dashboard feature to quickly navigate to specific lesson topics.
1. Classical Music and Art: How Music Connected to Art in the Classical Period
Did you know that the word 'classical' in 'Classical music' is a reference to 'classical' Greek and Roman art? In this lesson, we'll talk about how the culture of Ancient Greece and Rome influenced both music and art during music's Classical Period.
2. The Symphony: History, Parts and Function in Society
During the Classical Period, the genre of symphony was considered the highest form of instrumental music. In this lesson, we'll look at how the symphony developed and the part it played in Classical-era culture.
3. Classical Era Opera: Mozart and Popular Operas
Classical era opera offers a dramatic reflection of the society of its time. Read on to learn about opera seria and opera buffa, the two popular styles of Classical era opera.
4. Mozart: Operas, Symphonies & Piano Concerti
Mozart was one of the top composers of music's Classical period. In this lesson, we'll look at three categories of his greatest works: the genres of opera, symphony, and piano concerto.
5. Haydn: Symphonies and Compositions for String Quartet
Franz Joseph Haydn was one of the preeminent composers of music's Classical period and also one of the best jokesters in the history of music. In this lesson, we'll focus on two music genres in which Haydn stood out: symphony and string quartet.
6. Beethoven: Symphonies & Shift from Classical to Romantic
It's not every day that a musician comes along and changes the world's perception of music, but that's just what Ludwig van Beethoven did. In this lesson, we'll explore how his nine symphonies helped inspire the intense 19th-century musical style called Romanticism.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TExES Music EC-12 (177): Practice & Study Guide course
- About the TExES Music EC-12 Exam
- Elements of Music Notation
- Elements of Pitch
- Elements of Melody
- Elements of Tone
- Elements of Harmony in Music
- Elements of Chord Progression
- Nonharmonic Tones
- Meter & Rhythm
- Musical Forms
- Music Sections
- Composing, Arranging & Improvising Music
- Vocal Range
- Principles of Singing
- Understanding Instruments
- Opera and Orchestral Music
- Medieval Music
- Music of the Renaissance
- Music in the Baroque Period
- The Romantic Period in Music
- Jazz Music
- Musical Theater and Popular Music
- Music of the Modern Era
- Contemporary Music
- Music of the World
- Music Instruction in Texas
- Music Teaching Strategies
- TExES Music EC-12 Flashcards