About This Chapter
The Cold War in America (1950-1973) - Chapter Summary
If you need to refresh your memory about the Cold War and its impact on America, take a look at the short video lessons in this chapter. Our professional instructors guide you through the early events of the Cold War as well as how the U.S. became involved in the Korean War. As you make your way through the lessons, you will also review the Red Scare, the Space Race and central figures of the Cold War. Once you've studied the chapter, you should be able to:
- Identify causes of the Cold War
- Understand the impact of U.S. involvement in the Korean War
- Explain the causes and effects of McCarthyism
- Describe how the Cold War impacted American life
- Discuss the Cold War policies of Presidents Eisenhower and Kennedy
- Recognize the Cold War's influence on the U.S.- Soviet Union Space Race
Our entertaining video lessons on the Cold War contain tags so that you can rewatch excerpts with ease. You can also study the lesson transcripts, which commonly have links to text lessons containing more information about major terms. When you feel ready, you can take multiple-choice lesson quizzes to see how well you grasp the events discussed in this chapter.
1. The Cold War: Definition, Causes & Early Events
The period of distrust between the Soviet Union and United States was known as the Cold War. Learn about the origins of the era, essential events and the shaping of the national security state.
2. United States Involvement in the Korean War: Causes and Effects
The Korean War was a short but bloody war with more than five million casualties. Find out what caused this deadly and destructive war, how the United States came to be involved and how the war affected Korea and its allies.
3. McCarthyism and the Red Scare: Definition, Causes & Effects
The fear of communism, known as the Red Scare, led to a national witch hunt for suspected communist supporters, which was known as McCarthyism. Learn about the rise of McCarthyism and the Red Scare, the impact of McCarthyism on American society and the legacy of the short-lived fear campaign.
4. The Cold War in America: Effects on Everyday Life
Fear of communism and nuclear annihilation spread throughout the United States during the Cold War. Learn about the effects of the Cold War on everyday life and the determination of Americans to prepare for and combat the communist menace.
5. Dwight D. Eisenhower and the Cold War
President Dwight D. Eisenhower entered office during an amplified period of the Cold War. Learn about Eisenhower's domestic and foreign agenda in dealing with the Cold War during the 1950s.
6. John F. Kennedy and the Cold War
Upon entering office in 1961, President John F. Kennedy was tasked with the challenge of maintaining the upper hand in the United States' battle against communism. Learn about Kennedy's successes and failures in handling the Cold War.
7. The Space Race: Definition, History & Timeline
In this lesson, we explore the 20th century's space race between the United States and the Soviet Union, where both superpowers competed to be the first in space and the first to reach the moon.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GACE Middle Grades Social Science (015): Practice & Study Guide course
- European Colonies in North America (1497-1732)
- Important Events Leading to the American Revolution
- Events & Leaders of the American Revolution
- The Making of a Nation after the American Revolution
- The Virginia Dynasty
- Manifest Destiny & American Expansion
- Everyday Life in Antebellum America
- Jacksonian Democracy
- American Civil War & Reconstruction Overview
- Westward Expansion, Industrialization & Urbanization (1870-1900)
- American Imperialism & World War I
- The Progressive Era of the Early 20th Century
- 1920s America
- America and the Great Depression
- U.S. Involvement in World War ll (1941-1945)
- Post-World War ll America (1946-1959)
- Civil Rights & Other Movements in the US (1954-1973)
- America in the 1970s
- America in the 1980s
- Recent American History (1992-2013)
- The History of Georgia
- Introduction to Government
- Introduction to Economics
- American Government
- Latin American History
- Canadian History
- European History: Geography, Colonization, WWI & Russia
- European History: The 1920s & 1930s
- European History: The Rise of Fascism
- European History: World War II
- European History: Post-War Europe
- European History: Cold War Europe
- European History: Integration in Europe after the Soviet Union
- Australian History
- Overview of African History
- Asian History
- GACE Middle Grades Social Science Flashcards
- History of Political Parties in the U.S.