About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other high school U.S. history work.
- Identify the Cold War concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our high school U.S. history tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn about the Cold War and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding the 'Forgotten War', McCarthyism, the conflict in Vietnam or any other Cold War topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their history learning
- Prefer learning history visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their Cold War unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in high school U.S. history
- Don't have access to their history teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about the Cold War simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live history tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn about the Cold War on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Discuss the causes and early events of the Cold War.
- List the causes and effects of the Korean War.
- Describe the causes and effects of McCarthyism and the Red Scare.
- Understand how the Cold War affected everyday life in America.
- Learn about the domestic and foreign policy of Dwight D. Eisenhower.
- Examine John F. Kennedy's presidential agenda and assassination.
- Explore the causes and effects of the Vietnam War.
1. The Cold War: Definition, Causes & Early Events
The period of distrust between the Soviet Union and United States was known as the Cold War. Learn about the origins of the era, essential events and the shaping of the national security state.
2. United States Involvement in the Korean War: Causes and Effects
The Korean War was a short but bloody war with more than five million casualties. Find out what caused this deadly and destructive war, how the United States came to be involved and how the war affected Korea and its allies.
3. McCarthyism and the Red Scare: Definition, Causes & Effects
The fear of communism, known as the Red Scare, led to a national witch hunt for suspected communist supporters, which was known as McCarthyism. Learn about the rise of McCarthyism and the Red Scare, the impact of McCarthyism on American society and the legacy of the short-lived fear campaign.
4. The Cold War in America: Effects on Everyday Life
Fear of communism and nuclear annihilation spread throughout the United States during the Cold War. Learn about the effects of the Cold War on everyday life and the determination of Americans to prepare for and combat the communist menace.
5. Dwight D. Eisenhower and the Cold War
President Dwight D. Eisenhower entered office during an amplified period of the Cold War. Learn about Eisenhower's domestic and foreign agenda in dealing with the Cold War during the 1950s.
6. John F. Kennedy and the Cold War
Upon entering office in 1961, President John F. Kennedy was tasked with the challenge of maintaining the upper hand in the United States' battle against communism. Learn about Kennedy's successes and failures in handling the Cold War.
7. The Vietnam War: Causes, Conflicts & Effects
The Vietnam War was the longest and most polarizing conflict in the history of the United States. Learn about the causes of the war as well as its effects on the United States.
8. Henry Kissinger: Biography & Quotes
Henry Kissinger served as National Security Advisor and Secretary of State under President Nixon and President Ford. One of the giants in American Cold War diplomacy, his name is synonymous with realpolitik and negotiating the end of the Vietnam War.
9. John Foster Dulles: Biography, Facts & Quotes
John Foster Dulles served as Secretary of State under President Eisenhower. His name is synonymous with brinkmanship, massive retaliation, rollback, and nuclear deterrence in confronting communist states. Learn about the man and his life and test your knowledge with a quiz.
10. Satellite Nations: Definition & the Cold War
In this lesson, you will learn about the satellite nations of the Cold War. Explore how they became satellites, how the Soviet Unions kept its control over them during the Cold War, and how they eventually regained independence.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School US History: Tutoring Solution course
- First Contacts: Tutoring Solution
- Settling North America: Tutoring Solution
- The Road to Revolution: Tutoring Solution
- The American Revolution: Tutoring Solution
- The Making of a New Nation: Tutoring Solution
- The Virginia Dynasty: Tutoring Solution
- Jacksonian Democracy: Tutoring Solution
- Life in Antebellum America: Tutoring Solution
- Manifest Destiny: Tutoring Solution
- Sectional Crisis: Tutoring Solution
- American Civil War: Tutoring Solution
- Reconstruction: Tutoring Solution
- Westward Expansion, Industrialization & Urbanization: Tutoring Solution
- The Progressive Era: Tutoring Solution
- American Imperialism: Tutoring Solution
- The Roaring 20s: Tutoring Solution
- The Great Depression: Tutoring Solution
- The US in World War ll: Tutoring Solution
- Post-War World: Tutoring Solution
- Protests, Activism and Civil Disobedience: Tutoring Solution
- The 1970s: Tutoring Solution
- The Rise of Political Conservatism: Tutoring Solution
- Contemporary America: Tutoring Solution