About This Chapter
The Depression for Elementary School - Chapter Summary
Your elementary school student will enjoy reviewing fun lessons that explore the cause, timeline and other historical facts about the Great Depression. This chapter takes a close look at Black Tuesday, the New Deal and economic depression. Other topics include children, food, schools, women and diseases during the Depression. Access these lessons in the classroom or anywhere with an Internet connection to make studying convenient. Feel free to submit any questions about topics covered in this chapter to our experts.
Who It's For
Kids who need extra help with the Great Depression will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There's no faster or easier way to learn about the Great Depression.
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding the people, timeline and events of the Great Depression
- Students who have learning disabilities or need a little extra help learning about the Great Depression
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning U.S. history (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient and convenient way to learn about the Great Depression
- Students who struggle to understand their U.S. history teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra U.S. history resources
How It Works
- Find lessons in the chapter that cover Great Depression topics your student needs to learn or review.
- Press play to watch the video lesson with your student or read through the text lesson.
- Review the lesson or video transcripts, emphasizing the highlighted vocab words to reinforce learning about the Great Depression.
- Test your student's understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify your student understands the Great Depression by completing The Depression for Elementary School chapter exam.
1. Black Tuesday Lesson for Kids: Definition & Facts
Have you heard of the stock market? Have you heard of the Great Depression? Do you know what these two things have in common? Black Tuesday! In this lesson, you will learn all about Black Tuesday and its relation to the stock market and the Great Depression.
2. What Were the Causes of the Great Depression? - Lesson for Kids
In the 1900s an economic event called the Great Depression caused many Americans to lose their jobs, homes, and more. In this lesson, you will learn the causes of the largest depression in U.S. history.
3. Economic Depression Lesson for Kids: Definition & Facts
Economic depression is a time when a nation's economy is unstable and production is low. In this lesson, you will learn about causes and effects of economic depression as well as some of the aspects of the Great Depression in the United States.
4. Children of the Great Depression Lesson for Kids
Read about a time in the United States when people had little or no money, food, and clothing and lived in shacks. Find out how children especially made out during the Great Depression.
5. Food During the Great Depression Lesson for Kids
Many changes and sacrifices took place during the Great Depression. Come and learn about how this economic crisis affected food, the ways people managed to get food, and some popular Great Depression recipes.
6. Family Life During the Depression Lesson for Kids
In this lesson, you will learn all about how families lived and were affected by the Great Depression. During this disastrous time in history, the lives of Americans were turned upside-down.
7. Schools During the Great Depression Lesson for Kids
The Great Depression made it very difficult for students to attend, learn, and even stay in school. Learn about the different obstacles students faced to get an education during the Great Depression in this lesson.
8. The New Deal Lesson for Kids: Summary & Facts
During his first 100 days in office, President Franklin D. Roosevelt proposed a set of programs called the New Deal. This lesson talks about Roosevelt's New Deals and what they did to end the Great Depression in America.
9. Women of the Great Depression Lesson for Kids
The Great Depression was a time of suffering for many families in America. In this lesson, find out how women found creative ways to save money and how they entered the workforce, despite opposition from many who thought they should stay at home.
10. Diseases During the Great Depression Lesson for Kids
Life was hard during the Great Depression, and there were many challenges that people had to face concerning their health. Come and learn about common diseases during this time.
11. The Great Depression Economics Lesson for Kids
In this lesson, you are going to learn about a time known as the Great Depression, when families just like you lost everything they owned. You'll explore the causes for the Great Depression, and how the Great Depression was ended through a war.
12. Hoovervilles Lesson for Kids: Definition & History
Hoovervilles were large groups of simple, makeshift houses built by people who had nowhere else to live during the Great Depression. Come learn about Hoovervilles, how they got their name, and some other interesting facts about them.
13. The Great Depression & President Herbert Hoover Lesson for Kids
During the history of the United States, there have been many times when presidents had to deal with national emergencies. In this lesson, you'll learn about President Herbert Hoover and his response to the Great Depression.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the US History for Kids course
- US Constitution for Elementary School
- US Government for Elementary School
- American Revolution for Elementary School
- Americans in History for Elementary School
- Civil Rights for Elementary School
- 1920s in the US for Elementary School
- American Colonies for Elementary School
- The Civil War for Elementary School
- Prominent Americans for Elementary School
- US Presidents & Elections
- Space Race for Elementary School