About This Chapter
The Development of Infants & Toddlers - Chapter Summary
Gain full comprehension of the development of infants and toddlers using this chapter's entertaining lessons. Explore in-depth analyses of factors influencing motor development, infant and toddler nutritional needs, emotional expression in the first two years of life and more. By the end of this chapter, you will be ready to:
- Define and discuss the development of fine motor skills in children
- Provide details about brain, motor and sensory development in the first two years of life
- Describe the stages of self and temperament in infants
- Exhibit knowledge of cognitive development in infants
- Outline the process of language learning in infants and toddlers
- Discuss feeding, toileting, disciplining and other forms of toddler care
- Detail the stages of self and development in toddlers by George Herbert Mead
- Share facts about Jerome Kagan's research on temperament in toddlers
This chapter enables you to sidestep the time and location restrictions associated with traditional classes by offering 24/7 computer and mobile access to our lessons. In our online learning environment, you can study with the help top instructors and enjoy the ability to submit lesson questions to our subject-matter experts. Multiple-choice quizzes and a practice exam ensure you fully understand concepts covered in the lessons. Using our Dashboard, feel free to keep track of your progress and easily revisit lessons that require additional study time.
1. What Are Fine Motor Skills in Children? - Development, Definition & Examples
Think of toddlers at a daycare, or the young actors in the movie 'The Kindergarten Cop.' What comes to mind? Is it small children doing arts and crafts or possibly running around with scissors? These are examples of fine motor skills, which children should develop around this age.
2. Factors Influencing Motor Development
Understanding and supporting motor development in children plays an important role in teaching kids. This lesson will discuss gross and fine motor skills and the factors that influence their development.
3. Motor, Sensory & Brain Development in the First Two Years of Life
Babies grow and change so much in the first two years of life, and many of those changes are directly tied to the brain and its key functions. In this lesson, we'll look at brain, motor and sensory development in infants.
4. Social Development of Infants: Stages of Self and Temperament
When do infants start gaining self-awareness? We will explore the stages infants go through as they increase their knowledge of themselves. We will also look into the typical temperaments of infants.
5. Emotional Expression in the First Two Years of Life
In the first two years of life, a baby goes through many big changes. In this lesson, we'll look at some of the emotional changes that occur in infants, including important milestones in socioemotional development.
6. Cognitive Development in Infants: Object Permanence & Sensorimotor Periods
There is no time like infancy - it is the first exposure people have to the world. According to Jean Piaget, there are six stages infants go through as they develop cognitively and learn to act in their environment.
7. Language Learning in Infants and Toddlers
Language development is a long process, and there are many types of speech that babies take part in. This lesson explores language development and some key types of speech, including child-directed speech, syncretic speech, and telegraphic speech.
8. Infant & Toddler Nutrition Needs
In this lesson, you will learn about the nutritional needs of infants and toddlers. You will also learn about healthy food choices and foods that should be avoided for both infants and toddlers.
9. Toddler Care: Feeding, Toileting, Disciplining & Safety
If you are planning to be a teacher in an early childhood educational setting, you will benefit from learning more about caring for toddlers. This lesson offers insight into feeding, toileting, disciplining, and safety.
10. George Herbert Mead's Stages of Self and Development in Toddlers
When a baby is first born, he doesn't seem to have a sense of who he is, but that changes as he grows. In this lesson, we'll look at George Herbert Mead's research on how people develop a sense of self in the first few years of life.
11. Jerome Kagan's Research on Temperament in Toddlers
Why are some people outgoing while others are shy? That's a key question that psychologist Jerome Kagan addressed in his studies on temperament. Watch this video for more information on Kagan's research on temperament in toddlers.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FTCE Family & Consumer Science 6-12 (052): Practice & Study Guide course
- Analyzing Families
- Factors That Impact Personality Development
- Decision Making & Problem Solving in Families
- Challenges During Marriages
- Preparing for Parenthood
- Prenatal Care, Fetal Development & Childbirth
- The Development of Preschoolers
- The Development of School-Aged Children
- The Development of Adolescents
- Understanding Parenting Styles
- Handling Stress & Crises
- Clothing Selection as a Consumer
- Clothing, Textiles & Technology
- The American Economic System
- Money & Resource Management
- Understanding Consumerism
- Factors That Influence Housing Selection
- Home Design Features
- Fundamentals of Nutrition & Wellness
- Providing Nutritional Care
- Nutritional Deficiencies, Eating Disorders & Addictions
- Developing Meal Planning & Service Skills
- Food Selection, Safety & Storage
- Food Preparation Methods
- Professional Knowledge of Family & Consumer Science Field
- FTCE Family & Consumer Science 6-12 Flashcards