About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the DNA Process Replication chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday||What is DNA Replication? - Conservative, Semi-Conservative and Dispersive Models||The roles of the different models for DNA replication|
|Tuesday||How Helicase Unwinds the DNA Double Helix in Preparation for Replication||The function of the helicase throughout this process|
|Wednesday||How DNA Polymerase and RNA Primase Initiate DNA Replication||A look at how helicase works to separate DNA molecules during the replication process|
|Thursday||DNA Replication: The Leading Strand and DNA Polymerase Activities||The functions of DNA polymerase|
|Friday||DNA Replication: Review of Enzymes, Replication Bubbles and Leading and Lagging Strands||A look at the leading and lagging strands of the replication bubble|
1. What Is DNA Replication? - Conservative, Semi-Conservative & Dispersive Models
How do we know that DNA replication is semi-conservative? How do we know it's not conservative or dispersive? Let's follow the famous experiment by Meselson and Stahl to find out!
2. How Helicase Unwinds the DNA Double Helix in Preparation for Replication
How does semi-conservative replication begin? Discover how DNA helicase creates a replication fork to unwind the complicated DNA molecule and allow daughter strands to form on the parental template.
3. How DNA Polymerase and RNA Primase Initiate DNA Replication
How do enzymes assist in starting DNA replication? In this lesson, we explore the work of a contributing enzyme, DNA polymerase, and learn how the RNA primer is made by the action of RNA primase.
4. DNA Replication: The Leading Strand and DNA Polymerase Activities
How does replication occur in the antiparallel DNA molecule? In this lesson, explore the significance of the leading and lagging strands, and learn how Okazaki fragments and RNA ligase make DNA replication possible.
5. DNA Replication: Review of Enzymes, Replication Bubbles & Leading and Lagging Strands
Feeling lost in the thorny details of DNA replication? This lesson provides an overview of semi-conservative replication, with a focus on putting together all of the concepts involved. We'll review the work of each enzyme on our way to completing the big picture of DNA replication.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AP Biology Syllabus Resource & Lesson Plans course
- Science Basics Lesson Plans
- History of Life on Earth Lesson Plans
- Evolution Theory Lesson Plans
- Inorganic Chemistry Review Lesson Plans
- Organic Chemistry Review Lesson Plans
- Enzymatic Biochemistry Lesson Plans
- Cell Biology Lesson Plans
- Biological Systems Requirements Lesson Plans
- Cell Division Lesson Plans
- Metabolic Biochemistry Lesson Plans
- DNA & RNA Overview Lesson Plans
- The Transcription & Translation Process Lesson Plans
- Genetics & Heredity Lesson Plans
- Genetic Mutations Lesson Plans
- Taxonomy Lesson Plans
- Plant Biology Lesson Plans
- Plant Reproduction & Growth Lesson Plans
- Animal Reproduction & Development Lesson Plans
- The Reproductive Systems Lesson Plans
- The Circulatory & Musculoskeletal Systems Lesson Plans
- The Nervous & Endocrine Systems Lesson Plans
- Ecology Overview Lesson Plans
- Animal Behavior Lessons Plans
- Molecular Biology Laboratory Techniques Lesson Plans
- Scientific Data Analysis Lesson Plans
- Biology Laboratory Lesson Plans