About This Chapter
How it works:
- Identify which concepts are covered on your Early Middle Ages homework.
- Find videos on those topics within this chapter.
- Watch fun videos, pausing and reviewing as needed.
- Complete sample problems and get instant feedback.
- Finish your Early Middle Ages homework with ease!
Topics from your homework you'll be able to complete:
- Charlemagne's Holy Roman Empire
- Divine Right to Rule
- Carolingian art and architecture
- Viking history
- Armored knight technology
1. Feudalism: Charlemagne and the Holy Roman Empire
This lesson explains the rule of Charlemagne and his control over the Holy Roman Empire. It highlights his many military conquests and his divine rights as king, while also focusing on the role feudalism played before, during, and after his reign.
2. Charlemagne's Holy Roman Empire and the Divine Right to Rule
This lesson will explore the rule of Charlemagne and his exercise of the divine right of kings. It will highlight his reign as Holy Roman Emperor, focusing on his military conquests and his cultural reforms.
3. Monasticism from St. Benedict to Cluny
This lesson will trace the history of Western monasticism from Benedict to Cluny. It will focus on the Benedictine rule while also highlight monastic contributions to society.
4. Carolingian Art: History, Style & Characteristics
This lesson covers the art of the Carolingian Renaissance. We'll explore the causes of the Carolingian Renaissance, then see how the art of illumination was adapted for new uses. Then we'll discuss treasure bindings and finish with a quick survey of the few other surviving forms of Carolingian art.
5. Carolingian Architecture: Style, Characteristics & Examples
This lesson covers Carolingian architecture. We first look at Charlemagne's place in a long tradition of imperial builders. We then look at features that distinguish Carolingian churches from early Christian churches: piers, transepts, choirs and westworks. Finally, we explore the blueprint of a Carolingian monastery.
6. History of the Vikings
This lesson covers the history of the Vikings. We examine the Viking longships and their role in raids. Then we explore the impact these raids had on European history. Next we look at some of the other things the Vikings did besides raiding.
7. The Technology Behind the Armored Knight
This lesson looks at the technology behind the armored knight. We'll follow the development of medieval armor and the development of the saddle. Finally, we'll look at the implications of this expensive form of warfare.
8. Order From Chaos: Establishing Stability through Feudal Ties and Manors
This lesson will explore the impact of feudalism on European society. While explaining the system of feudalism, it will highlight how it offered protection and stability to Europe, specifically after the 5th century fall of Rome.
9. The Slow Decline of the Byzantine Empire
This lesson will explore the slow decline of the Byzantine Empire. It will highlight internal instability and outside invasion as two of the major factors that led to the 1453 fall of Constantinople and the empire.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School World History: Homework Help Resource course
- Foundational Concepts of World History: Homework Help
- Geography: Homework Help
- Major Belief Systems of the World: Homework Help
- Early Civilization of World History: Homework Help
- Early Civilizations of World History: Homework Help
- Ancient Civilizations in the Near East: Homework Help
- Early Chinese Civilization: Homework Help
- Early Indian Civilization: Homework Help
- History of Ancient Greece: Homework Help
- Hellenism and the Athenian Achievement: Homework Help
- The Rise of the Roman Republic: Homework Help
- History of the Fall of Rome: Homework Help
- The Rise of Christianity: Homework Help
- The Eastern Mediterranean: Homework Help
- Introduction to the Dark Ages: Homework Help
- African History: Homework Help
- The Medieval Warm Period: Homework Help
- The High Middle Ages: Homework Help
- History of Asia (1000-1300 CE): Homework Help
- Pre-European Civilizations in North America: Homework Help
- Eurasia and the Great Dynastic Empires: Homework Help
- The Late Middle Ages: Homework Help
- The Renaissance: Homework Help
- The Age of Exploration: Homework Help
- The Reformation Across Europe: Homework Help
- The Elizabethan Era: Homework Help
- Colonialism: Homework Help
- The Enlightenment & World Revolutions: Homework Help
- World War I: Homework Help
- Between the World Wars: Homework Help
- World War II: Homework Help
- The Cold War: Homework Help
- Post War Europe, Asia, Middle East, and Africa: Homework Help
- Latin America Since 1900: Homework Help
- The 21st Century: Homework Help