About This Chapter
Medical Terminology Related to the Ears - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
The birds chirping, a favorite song on the radio, a friend's hilarious joke -- to appreciate all of these, healthy ears are essential. In this chapter, you'll learn about the many structures that make up the ear as well as their functions. You will also discover pathologies that can impact the ears, in addition to types of hearing problems that can occur. Through the lessons in this chapter, you'll find out about:
- How the ears function
- What internal and external structures make up the ear
- How the inner ear is involved balance
- How healthcare professionals diagnose hearing problems
- What some of the pathologies that affect the ears are
- How ear conditions are treated
|Function & Structure of the Ears||Learn about ear structures and how they work.|
|Anatomy of the Ear's External Structures||Discover the external parts of the ear and their role in hearing.|
|The Ear: Middle Structures and Hearing Functions||Find out about how the ear's middle structures work together.|
|The Inner Ear: Sense of Balance and Hearing||See how the inner ear's structures are involved in hearing and balance.|
|The Parts of the Ears||Learn about the ear parts involved in the types of conduction.|
|Pathologies of the Ears||Explore some of the pathologies that can affect the ears' functioning.|
|Outer Ear Pathology Terms||Review terms related to pathology of the outer ear, including swimmer's ear, otalgia, and earaches.|
|Middle Ear Disorder Terminology||Define barotrauma, mastoiditis, salpingitis and other terms related to disorders of the middle ear.|
|Otitis Media Terminology: Middle Ear Disease||Learn about ruptured eardrums, acute purulent otism media and more.|
|Inner Ear Condition Vocabulary||Study various terms related to the inner ear.|
|Hearing Loss Vocabulary||Understand deafness, noise induced hearing loss, and more.|
|Diagnosing Hearing Problems||Discover some of the diagnostic procedures used to evaluate hearing issues.|
|Treatment & Terminology of Ear-Related Problems||Get details on treatment methods for certain ear conditions.|
1. Function & Structure of the Ears
Watch along as we follow a sound wave into the ear and learn about the structures it encounters. Also, did you know that your ears do more than hear? Learn about the role your ears play in keeping your balance.
2. Anatomy of the Ear's External Structures
What is the pinna? Is it the same thing as your earlobe? Does the eardrum have anything to do with the tympanic membrane? Find out as we explore all of this and other important structures involved in the sensation of hearing as sound enters your ear.
3. The Ear: Middle Structures and Hearing Functions
Find out about the malleus, incus, and stapes. You'll learn about the smallest bones in your body and find out what the ossicles are for. Finally, you'll find out how the oval window plays an important role in the transmission of sound.
4. The Inner Ear: Sense of Balance and Hearing
Learn how water is important when it comes to your inner ear, cochlea, and sense of hearing. Find out what cool names like the bony labyrinth, semicircular canals, ampulla, and vestibule mean.
5. The Parts of the Ears
Your ears are made up of three main parts, the external ear, middle ear, and internal ear. Sound waves move into your external ear causing the eardrum to vibrate, which moves the tiny bones of your middle ear, and then it's on to the internal ear.
6. Outer Ear Pathology Terms
Besides ear wax, has anything else ever come out of your ear? If so, or if you're just wondering what can, then take a look here as we go over pathologies of the outer ear.
7. Middle Ear Disorder Terminology
Trauma and inflammation in the middle ear can cause pain and hearing difficulties. This lesson outlines some of the common disorders associated with the middle ear. Test your understanding by completing the quiz at the end of the lesson.
8. Otitis Media Terminology: Middle Ear Disease
Have you ever had a middle ear infection? If so, do you know what kind you had? There are many kinds of middle ear infection, and you'll discover the proper terminology and look at some of the different kinds of infection in this lesson.
9. Inner Ear Condition Vocabulary
Have you ever had that annoying ringing in your ears? Do you know what that's called and why it occurs? You can learn about that and vertigo here as we look at conditions involving the inner ear.
10. Hearing Loss Vocabulary
What does it really mean to be deaf? What types of hearing loss are there? This lesson defines deafness, odd terms, like presbycusis, and several types of hearing loss.
11. Diagnosing Hearing Problems
If you watch the video version of this lesson, I hope your speakers are turned up so you can hear everything that is covered! In this lesson, we'll address some important vocabulary related to diagnosing hearing problems.
12. Treatment & Terminology of Ear-Related Problems
Your ear is composed of three different sections, each of which has its own procedures that can be performed to restore function, treat a condition, or just for looks. Take a listen to this lesson and find out what some of these are.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Medical Terminology: Help & Review course
- Fundamentals of Medical Terminology
- Basic Suffixes, Prefixes & Roots in Medical Terminology
- Terminology for Direction, Planes & Regions of the Body
- Pathology Basics & Vocabulary
- Vocabulary Basics for Genetics, Cells & Structures
- Medical Terms for the Lymphatic & Immune Systems
- Oncology Basics & Terms
- Medical Terminology for the Skeletal System
- Vocabulary for the Muscular System & Its Functions
- Vocabulary for the Cardiovascular System
- Terminology for the Respiratory System, Diseases & Treatments
- Terminology for Diagnosis & Treatment of Respiratory Diseases
- Medical Vocabulary for the Gastrointestinal System
- Terms for GI Tract Pathologies
- GI Tract Diagnosis & Treatment Terminology
- Medical Terms for the Urinary System
- Terminology of the Nervous System
- Terms for Nervous System-Related Conditions
- Terminology for Diagnostics & Treatments of the Nervous System
- Medical Terms Related to the Eyes
- Terminology for the Integumentary System
- Terminology for The Endocrine System & Hormones
- Endocrine Gland Disorder Vocabulary
- Pancreatic Disorder Vocabulary
- Adrenal Gland Disorder Terminology
- Male Reproductive System & STDs: Medical Terminology
- Female Reproductive System: Medical Terminology
- Medical Terminology for Major Pathogens
- Medical Terminology Used for Diagnosis & Pharmacology