About This Chapter
The Earth-Moon System - Chapter Summary
Expert instructors present the Earth-Moon system for your review in this chapter of illustrated video lessons. Just a few of the topics covered here include theories of the formation of the Earth and the four spheres of the Earth. Quickly navigate these videos using the video tabs feature if you'd rather not watch the entire lesson. Along with each video, we've included a short self-assessment quiz to keep you on track. Feel free to access all of our learning materials 24 hours a day on any mobile device or computer. Once you finish this chapter, you should be able to complete the following objectives:
- Outline the structure of the atmosphere
- Discuss theories explaining the formation of the Moon
- Describe the types of rocks found on the Moon
- Detail the atmosphere of the Moon and the sequences of the Moon's phases
- Explain how the Sun and the Earth affect the phases of the Moon
- Differentiate between the sidereal month and the synodic month
- Understand how to predict when the Moon will set and rise
1. Formation of the Earth: Theories
In this lesson, the theory of how the planet Earth formed will be discussed. This includes looking at how it differentiated into three layers, how it formed its atmosphere, water, and land features, and how it continues to evolve today.
2. The Four Spheres of Earth: Geosphere, Hydrosphere, Biosphere, and Atmosphere
Earth is made up of four distinct yet connect spheres. In this video lesson, you will learn about where each sphere is found on Earth, as well as some features commonly found in each.
3. The Structure of the Atmosphere
If you've ever climbed a mountain or been to the beach, you know that the atmosphere is different at different levels. This lesson explains how the structure of the atmosphere is really like a layer cake.
4. Formation of the Moon: Theories
Explore the four major theories on the formation of the Moon. The theories include the fission theory, capture theory, condensation theory and giant impact theory. Also look at both information supporting and flaws found in these theories.
5. Lunar Geology: Types of Moon Rocks
This lesson will discuss the layers of the Moon's interior, the dark and light colored areas of the Moon's surface, the Moon's craters, and how moon dust has formed over the ages.
6. The Moon's Atmosphere
This lesson will go over the lunar atmosphere, its composition, where it gets it atmosphere from, how it may lose its atmosphere, and what the technical term for the lunar atmosphere is.
7. Moon Phases: Names & Sequence
This lesson will go over the phases of the moon. The full moon, new moon, waxing, waning, and gibbous phases and the order in which they occur and what they look like are discussed.
8. How Earth & the Sun Affect the Phases of the Moon
This lesson will describe how the moon, Earth, and sun combine to form the phases of the moon. We'll also discuss the important concept of synchronous rotation.
9. Motion of the Moon: Sidereal Month vs. Synodic Month
This lesson will teach you about the sidereal month and synodic month, how long they are, and how they are measured with respect to the stars and sun.
10. Predicting When The Moon Will Rise and Set
In this lesson, you'll learn when the moon will rise or set during four distinct phases: full moon, new moon, first quarter moon, and third quarter moon.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Astronomy 101: Intro to Astronomy course
- The Historical Background of Astronomy
- The Basics of Astronomy
- The Physics of Astronomy
- Understanding Orbits in Astronomy
- The Solar System
- The Inner Solar System
- Gaseous Planets in the Solar System
- Comets, Moons & Asteroids
- Understanding the Science of the Sun
- Types of Stars in the Universe
- Formation & Evolution of Stars
- Stellar Death & Remnants
- Formation & Structure of the Milky Way
- Properties & Characteristics of Galaxies
- Cosmology Overview
- Relativity in Space & Time
- Overview of Life in the Universe
- Tools & Instruments for Astronomy
- Studying for Astronomy 101