About This Chapter
The Earth & Sun as a Part of a Galaxy - Chapter Summary
This collection of fun video lessons examines fundamental concepts pertaining to the solar system, sun and Earth. As you progress through the chapter, you'll learn about the different parts of the sun, our solar system's age and the structure of our galaxy. Studying this chapter can help you:
- Assess the differences between the universe, galaxies and solar systems
- Identify the age of our solar system
- Outline the structure of the Milky Way galaxy
- Define solar wind, flares and prominences
- Evaluate the solar corona and coronal mass ejections
- Acknowledge the effects of solar radiation
- Summarize the process of nuclear fusion
We've made the chapter accessible on any Internet-connected device to help you study at home, at school or wherever you happen to be. If you need any extra help with the material, feel free to submit questions to our expert science instructors. The chapter also includes lesson quizzes and a comprehensive exam to help you reinforce your understanding of these scientific concepts.
1. Solar System, Galaxy, & Universe: Definitions & Difference
Want to learn what the universe, galaxy, and solar system are as well as some cool facts about each one? This lesson will give you an overview of what these three things are in a relatable fashion.
2. What is the Age of the Solar System?
This lesson will tell you how old our solar system is and how we know that's the case thanks to radioactive decay, isotopes, half-life, and the solar nebula.
3. The Structure of Our Galaxy
If you ever looked up at the night sky far away from city lights, you would've seen a band of light across the night sky and lots of stars scattered around the rest of the sky. Why? The structure of our galaxy will explain exactly why.
4. The Solar Corona & Solar Wind
This lesson will define the solar corona and go over how it's involved with the formation of the solar wind and why it's hotter than the photosphere despite being the outermost layer of the sun's atmosphere.
5. Solar Flares, Solar Prominences & Coronal Mass Ejections
This lesson will go over three events caused by magnetic interactions in our Sun. They are prominences, flares, and coronal mass ejections. We'll also touch base on how the latter two can affect life on Earth.
6. What is Solar Radiation? - Definition & Effects
The sun plays an important role to us on Earth. It provides many things such as light and warmth. But, what is solar radiation and how does it affect us? In this video lesson, you'll learn about solar radiation, how it allows us to survive, and the influence it has on our global climate.
7. What Is Nuclear Fusion? - Definition & Process
Learn about the process of nuclear fusion and where it occurs naturally in our universe. Then go further by learning how we have harnessed its power and about some future possible uses for nuclear fusion.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the M-STEP Science - Grade 11: Test Prep & Practice course
- Scientific Inquiry & Reflection
- Earth Systems Overview
- Energy & Biochemical Cycles in Earth Systems
- Human Impacts on Earth Systems
- Advanced Rock Cycle
- The Interior of the Earth
- Plate Tectonics Theory
- Earthquakes & Volcanoes Overview
- Hydrogeology Overview
- Oceans & Climate
- Weather and Storms
- Basics of Earth History & Geologic Time
- Climate Change
- Transformation of Matter & Energy in Cells
- Living Organism Composition
- Interdependence of Living Systems & the Environment
- Ecosystems & Populations
- DNA & Mutations
- Mitosis & Meiosis
- Evolution & Biodiversity
- Physics & the Motion of Objects
- The Physics of Forces & Motion
- Forms of Energy
- Basics of Waves
- Light, Electricity & Nuclear Reactions
- Energy Transfer & Conservation
- Properties & States of Matter
- Chemical Changes in Matter
- M-STEP Science - Grade 11 Flashcards