About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Employer-Worker Relationship chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday||History of organized labor||Purpose, American history and objectives of labor unions|
|Tuesday||Union agreements and collective bargaining||Types of agreements, such as open shop, closed shop, union shop and agency shop; function of collective bargaining and an overview of those involved|
|Wednesday||Mediation and arbitration||Reasons for third-party interventions|
|Thursday||Labor-management conflicts||Union and management tactics to resolve disputes, including boycotts, strikes, lockouts, injunctions, yellow-dog contracts and strikebreakers|
|Friday||Employee-management issues||Workplace violence, pay equity, elder care, executive compensation, child care and drug testing|
1. A Historical Outline of Organized Labor in the United States
In this lesson, you'll learn about the development of organized labor and unions in the United States and their current position in the United States economy. We'll also touch upon federal laws that have been developed regulating and protecting organized labor.
2. Forms of Union Agreements
While currently in decline, unions are still an important presence in the workplace. In this lesson, you'll learn about different types of union agreements regarding union membership and employment, including open, closed, agency and union shops.
3. Function of Collective Bargaining
The function of collective bargaining is to negotiate work-related issues. Bargaining or negotiating takes place between the employer and the employees. The employees are represented by a collective bargaining unit.
4. Collective Bargaining Lesson Plan
To help your students learn about collective bargaining and its benefits and pitfalls, this lesson plan includes two video lessons, discussion questions, and a role-playing activity to involve the students in actively exploring the topic.
5. Mediation & Arbitration: Third-Party Interventions in Organizations
Some conflicts simply cannot be resolved by those involved in the dispute. This lesson will explain the use of third-party interventions to help disputants resolve conflict they could not solve on their own.
6. Tactics for Resolving Labor-Management Conflicts
Good labor-management relations are a key component to successful business practice. Conflicts can happen and can be destructive. In this lesson, you'll learn about some tactics used for resolving conflicts between labor and management.
7. Controversial Employee-Management Issues
The modern workplace is replete with controversy ranging from charges of excessive executive pay to workplace privacy. In this lesson, you'll learn about some current controversial employee-management issues in the workplace.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Intro to Business Syllabus Resource & Lesson Plans course
- The Dynamic Business Environment Lesson Plans
- Ethical Behavior in Business Lesson Plans
- Economics & Business Lesson Plans
- Global Markets & Trade Lesson Plans
- Business Ownership Types Lesson Plans
- Entrepreneurship & Small Business Lesson Plans
- Managing & Leading in Business Lesson Plans
- Business Leadership Styles Lesson Plans
- Organizational Management Lesson Plans
- Business Production & Operations Lesson Plans
- Workplace Productivity & Motivation Lesson Plans
- Human Resources Basics Lesson Plans
- Business Marketing Basics Lesson Plans
- Product Development & Retailing Lesson Plans
- Supply Chain Management Lesson Plans
- Pricing Strategy in Marketing Lesson Plans
- Product Promotion Lesson Plans
- MIS Basics Lesson Plans
- Information Technology Implications Lesson Plans
- Risk Management in Business Lesson Plans
- Accounting Basics Lesson Plans
- Financial Management Lesson Plans
- Securities Markets & Business Lesson Plans
- Money & Financial Institutions Lesson Plans