About This Chapter
The Ethics of Advertising & Marketing - Chapter Summary
Going through these lessons offers a simplified way to enhance what you know about the ethics of advertising and marketing. You'll uncover interesting details about the legal environment of marketing. This self-paced chapter can also help you better understand the general concept of ethical behavior in marketing. After reviewing the lessons, you should be ready to:
- Discuss the political landscape of marketing
- Provide a definition for marketing ethics
- Give examples of ethical and unethical target marketing
- Describe regulations that address advertising abuses
- Discuss ethical considerations in cause-related marketing
- Explain the importance of legal and ethical communication
- Outline ethical concerns related to persuasive messages
As you go through these concise lessons on the ethics of advertising and marketing, use the Help feature to submit questions to experts if you get stuck on a topic. Depending on your current knowledge, you can study all the lessons in the chapter for a comprehensive review or just focus on a handful of topics. Each lesson is accompanied by a brief quiz, which is great for making sure you comprehend the concepts covered.
1. The Political and Legal Environment of Marketing
In this lesson, you will learn about the political and legal environment of marketing. Learn which federal legislation, state laws and regulatory agencies have an effect on businesses.
2. Ethical Behavior in Marketing: What Are Marketing Ethics?
Watch our lesson to learn the definition of ethics and how it relates to business and marketing. You will also learn about the idea of ethical business behavior.
3. Ethical & Unethical Target Marketing in Business
Companies are desperate to acquire customers, and some will use inappropriate ways to gain their attention. In this lesson, you'll learn how to discern ethical from unethical target marketing, using the example of marketing to vulnerable populations.
4. Advertising Abuses & Regulation
Companies do not always act ethically when trying to persuade consumers to purchase their products. In this lesson, we will discuss the various ways in which advertising can be abused and take a look at controversial advertising and regulation of advertising.
5. Ethics and Cause-Related Marketing
Do you avoid a specific store entrance when people are collecting money for charity outside? In this video, you will learn more about social responsibility and, specifically, the growth of cause-related marketing.
6. Legal and Ethical Communication: Description & Importance
Legal and ethical communication is essential to companies to ensure truthful, accurate and morally-correct decision making. Companies need to give consideration to how they communicate and remain lawful in their day-to-day business activities.
7. Legal and Ethical Concerns of Persuasive Messages
Persuasive messages are used to promote, advertise, advocate and inform individuals in the workplace. There are many legal and ethical concerns that need to be addressed when persuasive messages are used in a business environment.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the DSST Business Ethics and Society: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Ethics in Business
- Understanding Ethical Business Leadership
- Foundational Ethical Theories for Business
- Social Responsibilities of a Business
- Government Regulation of Business
- The Relationship Between Employer & Employees
- Ethical Issues in the Workplace
- The Ethics of Labor Relations
- The Ethics of Privacy in Business
- Ethics in International Business
- Corporations & Stakeholders
- Global Business & Environmental Ethics
- Business, Government & Society
- DSST Informational Resources
- DSST Business Ethics and Society Flashcards