About This Chapter
The Ethics of Privacy in Business - Chapter Summary
There's a wealth of information in this chapter on the ethics of privacy in business, such as the Better Business Bureau's role in consumer protection. Our professional instructors also teach you about the protection of patents and trade secrets using fun video lessons. Upon completion of the chapter, you should be able to do the following:
- Provide an overview of privacy protection
- Discuss product liability and consumer protection
- Outline the role of regulatory agencies for consumer protection
- Explain how technology has impacted privacy
- Describe how consumer privacy can be protected online
- Relate ethical considerations when managing technology in business
- Detail how intellectual property is protected
Our instructors assist you with quickly grasping the concepts presented on the ethics of privacy in business. A short quiz is available for each lesson, which means you can easily determine whether you have mastered the topics covered. The quizzes link back to the corresponding points in the lessons, so if you get a quiz question wrong, you can revisit that topic with a single click.
1. What Is Privacy Protection? - Laws & Rights
Financial privacy protection is a form of consumer protection. It's designed to protect consumer information held by financial institutions. This lesson discusses financial privacy protection and the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act.
2. What Is Consumer Protection? - Product Liability, Laws & Rights
Consumer protection refers to the laws and other forms of government regulation designed to protect consumers. One form of consumer protection is product liability. This lesson explains consumer protection and product liability.
3. Government Regulation Agencies for Consumer Protection
You will learn about the government regulatory agencies that protect consumers. We'll discuss what the acronyms CFPB, CPSC, FTC, FDA, NHTSA, and SEC stand for and their organizations' responsibilities.
4. The Better Business Bureau's Consumer Protection Duties
The Better Business Bureau (BBB) is one of the most well-known organizations in the United States. However, how many of us really know what it does? In this lesson, we take a look at the history and duties of the BBB.
5. Impact of Technology on Privacy
Technology has a number of social and ethical implications that cause debate and concern. One specific issue is privacy. Information technology has opened up society and decreased privacy. This lesson will explore a number of privacy issues that are of concern, including electronic surveillance, availability of personal information, cookies and spyware, and workplace monitoring.
6. Protecting Consumer Privacy Online
Every week, there is a news headline announcing a consumer data breach from a well-known organization. In this lesson, you will learn how government and business is trying to protect consumer privacy online.
7. Ethical Issues in Managing Technology in Business
It is a challenge for companies to balance the need for technology with the elements of privacy and security. Let's analyze some ethical issues, such as information security, balancing the privacy of employees with the need for monitoring employees, file sharing, and copyright infringement.
8. Trade Secrets and Patent Protection: Protecting Intellectual Property
A business must decide how to best protect its intellectual property. Sometimes that decision comes down to deciding between using trade secret or patent protection. This lesson explains the key differences between these two intellectual property protections.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the DSST Business Ethics and Society: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Ethics in Business
- Understanding Ethical Business Leadership
- Foundational Ethical Theories for Business
- Social Responsibilities of a Business
- Government Regulation of Business
- The Relationship Between Employer & Employees
- Ethical Issues in the Workplace
- The Ethics of Labor Relations
- The Ethics of Advertising & Marketing
- Ethics in International Business
- Corporations & Stakeholders
- Global Business & Environmental Ethics
- Business, Government & Society
- DSST Informational Resources
- DSST Business Ethics and Society Flashcards