About This Chapter
Medical Terms Related to the Eyes - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
Some people say the eyes are the windows to the soul, but their main job is to provide us with the sense of sight. In this chapter, you'll learn about several structures of the eye and how they work. You will also find out about some of the pathologies affecting the eyes as well as how they're diagnosed and treated. By studying the lessons in this chapter, you'll learn about:
- Large structures of the eyes
- Accommodation and other actions of the eyes
- Function of eye receptors
- Diagnostic procedures and treatment methods for eye conditions
- Types of pathologies affecting the eyes
|Function and Structure of the Eyes||Explore the major eye structures and their purpose.|
|The Eye and Eyesight: Large Structures||Learn about the large eye structures involved in sight.|
|Receptors of the Back of the Eye: Retina, Rods, Cones & Fovea||Discover the function of the multiple receptors located in the back of the eyes.|
|Detailed Structures of the Eyeball||Find out about some of the smaller structures of the eyeball.|
|Structures of the Uveal Tract||Learn about the components and function of the eye's uveal tract.|
|Actions of the Eye||Study the many actions of the eyes, such as convergence and emmeetropia.|
|Eyelid Pathologies: Medical Vocabulary||Discover some of the medical conditions that can impact the eyelid.|
|Eye Condition Terms: Uveal Tract, Iris, Sclera & Cornea||Get familiar with the different eye structures that can be affected by eye conditions.|
|Major Disorders of the Eye: Definitions & Terminology||Discuss disorders like cataracts, pappiledema, and retinal tears.|
|Glaucoma & Macular Degeneration Vocabulary||Take a look at these these two common eye conditions.|
|Functional Defects of the Eye: Terminology||Examine defects that affect eye function.|
|Refractive Disorders of the Eye: Vocabulary||Learn about the different refractive disorders that can impact vision.|
|Blindness & Vision Impairment: Medical Vocabulary||Detail terms related to vision loss and blindness.|
|Pathologies of Structures Related to the Eye: Vocabulary||Define diseases that affect eye structures.|
|Medical Terms Related to Optic Diagnostics, Specialists & Procedures||Survey terminology for eye care diagnosis and procedures.|
|Medical Specialists Who Diagnose & Treat the Eyes||Learn about health professionals that specialize in eye care and diagnostic techniques they use.|
|Terminology of Eye-Related Diagnostic Procedures||Find out how disorders of the eyes are diagnosed.|
|Eyeball, Eyelid & Orbit Procedure Vocabulary||Define key procedures used to treat a variety of eye conditions.|
|Cataracts, Lenses & Laser Eye Treatment Vocabulary||Learn about methods used to treat cataracts as well as laser surgery for the eyes.|
1. Function & Structure of the Eyes
There are many structures associated with your eyes that protect them from harm and keep them moist. In this lesson, we look at these external and accessory structures, and learn how they help you see the world around you.
2. The Eye and Eyesight: Large Structures
Would you be able to see anything without a lens in your eye? Does the lens change shape? Does the iris? What structure gives you your eye color? Find out all of this and about things like the ciliary muscles and the cornea as we delve into this lesson.
3. Receptors of the Back of the Eye: Retina, Rods, Cones & Fovea
Find out how we see the world in color, what rods and cones are, and how camera film fits into all of this. In addition, you'll find out what the retina is and what gives you the ability to see at night.
4. Detailed Structures of the Eyeball
Your eyeballs are a lot like fluid-filled balloons wearing three coats or tunics. Structures within these tunics allow you to see colors, focus on objects, and see in dim light. Learn about the structures of the eyeballs and how they help you see.
5. Structures of the Uveal Tract
Grapes, blue colors, brown colors, green colors and black colors are all a strange but true part of this lesson on a particular part of your eye, called the uveal tract. What is it? Take a look!
6. Actions of the Eye
This lesson goes over some of the normal actions of the eyes with respect to vision: visual acuity, convergence, accommodation, emmetropia, and refraction.
7. Eyelid Pathologies: Medical Vocabulary
Do you get puffy eyes in the morning? Do you know why people get puffy eyes? Or do you know about any other strange problems affecting the eyelids? This lesson defines several problems affecting our eyelids.
8. Eye Condition Terms: Uveal Tract, Iris, Sclera & Cornea
While your eyes are certainly beautiful, they can experience some ugly problems. Some might be caused by your pet cat and others by nasty bacteria. Find out what they are, here!
9. Major Disorders of the Eye: Definitions & Terminology
Have you ever seen those weird-looking spots or specks in your field of vision randomly floating about? This lesson tells you what they are and defines many other weird and wonderful conditions of the eye.
10. Glaucoma & Macular Degeneration Vocabulary
There are two major conditions that can threaten what some consider your most precious sense. They are called glaucoma and macular degeneration. These conditions and their major types are defined herein.
11. Functional Defects of the Eye: Terminology
Cross-eyed, wall-eyed, old-eyed, double vision, night blind, color blind. All of those are pretty familiar sounding terms to you, right? But do you know the technical terms for them? If you don't, then get going on this lesson!
12. Refractive Disorders of the Eye: Vocabulary
Are you nearsighted? Farsighted? Neither? All three conditions actually have really weird technical terms. This lesson goes over them as we take a look at refractive disorders.
13. Blindness & Vision Impairment: Medical Vocabulary
Do you know what blindness really is? Can you tell me both definitions for it? And have you ever heard of scotoma or amblyopia? I'm sure you have, as they have very common names you've heard of before.
14. Pathologies of Structures Related to the Eye: Vocabulary
Pink eye, dry eye, and more! Eye don't know what to say. There's a lot of problems our eyes can have. This lesson teaches you the proper medical terminology for all of these and more!
15. Medical Specialists Who Diagnose & Treat the Eyes
What is an eye doctor? Is there more than one? What's the difference between them? This lesson defines an ophthalmologist and optometrist and discusses their differences and similarities.
16. Terminology of Eye-Related Diagnostic Procedures
How do we diagnose problems with the eye? What problems are there to diagnose? This lesson goes over vision and some of the diagnostic procedures of the eyes.
17. Eyeball, Eyelid & Orbit Procedure Vocabulary
The cornea, conjunctiva, orbit, eye, and even fluid within the eye can all have procedures performed on them. This lesson will define many of these, such as vitrectomy, iridectomy, keratoplasty, and many others.
18. Cataracts, Lenses & Laser Eye Treatment Vocabulary
Sound waves, light waves, and just plain surgery can all be used to correct your vision. Whether it's the famous LASIK or phacoemulsification, this lesson defines many of these corrective procedures that help a person see better.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Medical Terminology: Help & Review course
- Fundamentals of Medical Terminology
- Basic Suffixes, Prefixes & Roots in Medical Terminology
- Terminology for Direction, Planes & Regions of the Body
- Pathology Basics & Vocabulary
- Vocabulary Basics for Genetics, Cells & Structures
- Medical Terms for the Lymphatic & Immune Systems
- Oncology Basics & Terms
- Medical Terminology for the Skeletal System
- Vocabulary for the Muscular System & Its Functions
- Vocabulary for the Cardiovascular System
- Terminology for the Respiratory System, Diseases & Treatments
- Terminology for Diagnosis & Treatment of Respiratory Diseases
- Medical Vocabulary for the Gastrointestinal System
- Terms for GI Tract Pathologies
- GI Tract Diagnosis & Treatment Terminology
- Medical Terms for the Urinary System
- Terminology of the Nervous System
- Terms for Nervous System-Related Conditions
- Terminology for Diagnostics & Treatments of the Nervous System
- Medical Terminology Related to the Ears
- Terminology for the Integumentary System
- Terminology for The Endocrine System & Hormones
- Endocrine Gland Disorder Vocabulary
- Pancreatic Disorder Vocabulary
- Adrenal Gland Disorder Terminology
- Male Reproductive System & STDs: Medical Terminology
- Female Reproductive System: Medical Terminology
- Medical Terminology for Major Pathogens
- Medical Terminology Used for Diagnosis & Pharmacology