About This Chapter
The First Indochina War - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
In this chapter, you will learn about the events and people tied to the First Indochina War. This war between France and the Viet Minh is a vital part of history leading to the United States' involvement in Vietnam. Instructors engage with you through video lessons to teach you about this war, and quizzes can be taken to test your comprehension of the topics. The information in this chapter includes:
- The timeline of events during the Indochina War
- How the Indochina War acted as a precursor to U.S. involvement in Vietnam
- What tactics were used by the French in the war
- How Vo Nguyen Giap became an important military and political figure in Vietnam
|Significant Events in the First Indochina War||Examine the timeline of events for the First Indochina War lasting from 1946 to 1954|
|First Indochina War: Battle of Dien Bien Phu & the Geneva Conference||Identify the causes and resolution of the war, as well as how it led to American intervention|
|France's Leadership & Tactics in the First Indochina War||Appraise the strategies used by French commanders in the war and the birth of the first parachute battalions|
|Leadership & Role of Vo Nguyen Giap in the First Indochina War||Analyze the leadership of Vo Nguyen Giap both politically and militarily|
1. Significant Events in the First Indochina War
In this lesson, you'll learn about many of the key events of the First Indochina War. Through summaries of important operations and battles, you'll follow the French and Viet Minh as they struggle for control of the region.
2. First Indochina War: Battle of Dien Bien Phu & the Geneva Conference
Conflict between the French and Viet Minh led to the First Indochina War. In this lesson, you will learn about the causes of the war, the important battles and the final resolution, which led to increased American intervention in Southeast Asia.
3. France's Leadership & Tactics in the First Indochina War
In this lesson, we'll consider several key aspects of the role the French played in the First Indochina War. Imagine a battlefield without clear front lines, and find out how the French aimed to work with these conditions.
4. Leadership & Role of Vo Nguyen Giap in the First Indochina War
In this lesson, we'll examine the military leader General Vo Nguyen Giap. You'll learn how a man who started off his adult life as a professor became a key military figure in the First Indochina War.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the History 308: Causes and Effects of the Vietnam War course
- Understanding History & Primary Sources
- Vietnamese Nationalism
- Early American Involvement in Indochina
- The Geneva Conference & the Vietnam War
- U.S. Involvement in Vietnam
- Opposition to the Vietnam War
- Battles & Operations of the Vietnam War
- Participants & Strategies in the Vietnam War
- Cambodia & Laos in the Vietnam War
- Effects of the Vietnam War
- Required Assignments for History 308
- Studying for History 308: Causes & Effects of the Vietnam War