About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Formation & Phases of the Moon chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday||The moon's formation||Condensation, capture, fission and giant impact theories|
|Tuesday||Lunar geology||Maria, terrae, terminator, ejecta, porous rock, low-density rock, moon dust|
|Wednesday||The moon's atmosphere and phases||Lunar, thinness, hydrogen, helium, neon and other properties; new moon, first quarter, waxing gibbous, full, waning gibbous|
|Thursday||How moon phases are affected by the Earth and sun||Same side facing Earth, lunar illumination, new moon, experiment, synchronous rotation|
|Friday||The motion of the moon and predictions for rising and setting||Counterclockwise, roughly four weeks, half a degree, full orbit around Earth, lunar month; above the horizon, below the horizon, new, full and quarter moons|
1. Formation of the Moon: Theories
Explore the four major theories on the formation of the Moon. The theories include the fission theory, capture theory, condensation theory and giant impact theory. Also look at both information supporting and flaws found in these theories.
2. The Moon's Atmosphere
This lesson will go over the lunar atmosphere, its composition, where it gets it atmosphere from, how it may lose its atmosphere, and what the technical term for the lunar atmosphere is.
3. How Earth & the Sun Affect the Phases of the Moon
This lesson will describe how the moon, Earth, and sun combine to form the phases of the moon. We'll also discuss the important concept of synchronous rotation.
4. Moon Phases: Names & Sequence
This lesson will go over the phases of the moon. The full moon, new moon, waxing, waning, and gibbous phases and the order in which they occur and what they look like are discussed.
5. Motion of the Moon: Sidereal Month vs. Synodic Month
This lesson will teach you about the sidereal month and synodic month, how long they are, and how they are measured with respect to the stars and sun.
6. Predicting When The Moon Will Rise and Set
In this lesson, you'll learn when the moon will rise or set during four distinct phases: full moon, new moon, first quarter moon, and third quarter moon.
7. Lunar Geology: Types of Moon Rocks
This lesson will discuss the layers of the Moon's interior, the dark and light colored areas of the Moon's surface, the Moon's craters, and how moon dust has formed over the ages.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Astronomy 101 Syllabus Resource & Lesson Plans course
- The History of Astronomy Lesson Plans
- How Scientists Think & Work Lesson Plans
- Matter in Astronomy Lesson Plans
- Light in Astronomy Lesson Plans
- Newton's Laws in Astronomy Lesson Plans
- Momentum & Energy Lesson Plans
- Rotational Motion & Momentum Lesson Plans
- Earth's Spheres Lesson Plans
- Climate Influences Lesson Plans
- Orbits, Gravity & Orbital Motion Lesson Plans
- The Earth, Sky & Moon Lesson Plans
- Earth & Planet Atmospheres Lesson Plans
- The Sun & Energy Lesson Plans
- The Solar System Formation Lesson Plans
- The Solar System Characteristics Lesson Plans
- The Solar System's Smaller Objects & Satellites Lesson Plans
- Star Qualities Lesson Plans
- Star Types Lesson Plans
- The Birth & Life of Stars Lesson Plans
- Star Death & Stellar Remnants Lesson Plans
- The Milky Way Galaxy Lesson Plans
- Properties of Galaxies Lesson Plans
- Universe Theories Lesson Plans
- Life in the Universe Lesson Plans
- Celestial Time & Navigation Lesson Plans
- Relativity in Time & Space Lesson Plans
- Telescopes Lesson Plans