About This Chapter
The Future of Nursing Informatics - Chapter Summary
This chapter examines the future of nursing informatics through a series of bite-sized lessons. As you progress through the chapter, you'll become familiar with emerging nursing technologies, telenursing applications, future trends in electronic health records and much more. The chapter comes with interactive self-assessments to help you reinforce your understanding of these nursing informatics topics. If you get stuck or need any clarification, simply reach out to our expert instructors online. Upon completion of the chapter, you'll be equipped to:
- Identify healthcare informatics regulatory requirements
- Explain legal and ethical issues surrounding healthcare informatics
- Understand how telemedicine helps patient care
- Evaluate the applications of telenursing
- Describe future trends in electronic health records
- Recognize emerging nursing technologies
1. Regulatory Requirements for Healthcare Informatics
Healthcare has been impacted by laws that have been enacted to protect patients and staff. In this lesson, you'll find out more about the regulatory requirements for healthcare informatics.
2. Ethical & Legal Issues in Healthcare Informatics
Healthcare informatics has opened a whole new dimension of patient care using technology across many healthcare departments. This lesson will explore the dynamics of ethical and legal issues surrounding technology in healthcare.
3. Patient Care through Telemedicine
Telemedicine is the use of technology to better connect patients with their healthcare providers for the management of their health conditions. In this lesson, learn more about the process of telemedicine and how it is already being used today.
4. Applications of Telenursing
Telenursing is the use of technology to provide a multitude of health care and support services to patients and nurses. Read this lesson to learn how telenursing positively impacts the delivery of health care both clinically and nonclinically.
5. Electronic Health Records: Future Trends
How will the discipline of medicine embrace the age of informational globalization? In this lesson, we'll explore four future applications of electronic health records.
6. Emerging Technologies in Nursing
Nursing as a profession is constantly changing, and emerging technologies are contributing to this change at a lightning-fast speed. Read on to learn about several new technologies that are changing the face of nursing.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Nursing 301: Nursing Informatics course
- Informatics & Information Systems in Healthcare
- Computer Hardware for Nursing Informatics
- Basic Computer Software for Nursing Informatics
- Online Connectivity & Security for Nursing Informatics
- Data Standards in Healthcare
- Patient-Centered Information Technology
- Nursing & Educational Informatics
- Informatics Literacy & Challenges in Nursing
- Required Assignments for Nursing 301
- Studying for Nursing 301