About This Chapter
The Georgian Period in England - Chapter Summary
The major historical events of the Georgian Period in England, as well as its monarchs and its societal and cultural influences, are covered in this informative chapter. Lessons focus on topics such as the creation of the United Kingdom and the partitioning of Ireland, as well as the major political and economic developments that took place in Britain in the 18th century. You'll also learn about the greater economic positioning of Europe as a whole during this time, plus look at some of the factors that led to the Industrial Revolution. After you complete these lessons, you will be able to:
- Describe the role of Robert Walpole in British history
- Outline some of the political reforms of Edmund Burke
- Explain how the English class system worked in the 18th century
- Detail how population growth affected society in Britain
Studying is simple with the fun lessons and quizzes presented in our professionally designed learning tools. Before or after reviewing the lessons, taking the quizzes provides a great way to test your knowledge and see where you need to study further. You can access these materials on your tablet, phone or computer anytime for flexible studying.
1. The Creation of the United Kingdom and the Incorporation of Ireland
In this lesson, we examine the piecemeal creation of the United Kingdom throughout the late Medieval and Early Modern periods as well as the tumultuous history of English control and partitioning of Ireland.
2. 18th Century Powers: Great Britain
In this lesson, we will study Great Britain in the 18th century. We will explore the monarchs of the era, the country's major political and economic developments, and Britain's participation in the century's wars.
3. Robert Walpole: Biography & Significance
The British Prime Minister is one of the most powerful leaders in the world, but how was this position developed? In this lesson, we'll look at the life of Robert Walpole and see what impact he had on the establishment of this powerful position.
4. Reform in Great Britain in the 1700s: History & Impact
In this lesson we explore the political developments of eighteenth-century Britain, from the formation and union of Great Britain to the political reforms and ideologies of Edmund Burke and William Pitt the Younger.
5. World Economies in the 1700s: Trends, Factors & Characteristics
In this lesson, we explore the economic trends of 18th-century Europe and the demographic and ideological factors which made the Industrial Revolution possible.
6. English Class System in the 18th Century
At the beginning of the 18th century, England was a relatively small power. By the end of it, Britain had emerged as a world power. This lesson looks at class system during that transformative time.
7. Society & Culture of the 18th Century
In this lesson, we explore 18th-century European society and how it changed due to factors such as freer markets and population growth. We'll also learn about the popular culture enjoyed by those with enough leisure time to indulge in it.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ISEB Common Entrance Exam at 13+ History: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Norman England
- The Middle Ages in England
- Society & Culture in The Middle Ages
- Hundred Years War & War of the Roses
- The Tudor Period in England
- Civil War & Revolution in England
- British Empire & Imperialism
- British Industrialization & Reform
- Historical Inquiry & Essay Construction
- ISEB Common Entrance Exam at 13+ History Flashcards