About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering chapter summaries and important quotes from The Giver will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to understand the key quotes and essential plotlines of each chapter in this novel. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who want to learn a broad topic in a short amount of time
- Students who are looking for easy ways to identify the most important information on the topic
- Students who have fallen behind in memorizing what happens in each chapter of The Giver and important quotes
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning literature (visual and auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who have limited time to study for an upcoming exam
How It Works:
- Watch each video in the chapter to review all key topics.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with a short quiz.
- Complete your review with The Giver Summaries & Quotes chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: The lessons in this chapter cover only the information you need to know.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Take The Giver Summaries & Quotes chapter exam to make sure you're prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any literature question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter summarizes the material students need to know about the specific events that occurred in each chapter of The Giver, along with key quotes, for a standard literature course. Topics covered include:
- Overview of the plotline, characters and themes of the story
- Study of the author who wrote The Giver
- Analysis and summary of chapters 1-23
- Review of key quotes from each chapter
- Examination of the story's climax and ending
1. The Giver: Summary, Characters, Themes & Author
In 'The Giver,' the government controls citizens' freedom to choose their occupation, spouse, and emotions. Read on to see why and how the government exerts this control, and what one boy plans to do to stop it.
2. The Giver Chapter 1 Summary & Quotes
In the first chapter of Lois Lowry's Newbery Medal-winning ''The Giver,'' we are introduced to Jonas and his family, who live in a society with strict rules.
3. The Giver Chapter 2 Summary & Quotes
Jonas is anxiously awaiting December, and the Ceremony of Twelve. In this lesson, we will learn more about the yearly ceremonies and Jonas's community through a summary of chapter two and some notable quotations in Lois Lowry's 'The Giver'.
4. The Giver Chapter 3 Summary & Quotes
Jonas lives in a community that discourages individuality, but in this chapter we begin to see that Jonas himself is a bit different from the rest. This lesson will summarize chapter 3 of Lois Lowry's 'The Giver,' and take a look at some important quotations.
5. The Giver Chapter 4 Summary & Quotes
In chapter 4 of Lois Lowry's 'The Giver,' Jonas decides to spend his required volunteer hours in the House of the Old. Here, we meet Larissa and learn a bit more about the releasing of the Old, one of the only times release is not a punishment.
6. The Giver Chapter 5 Summary & Quotes
In chapter 5 of Lois Lowry's The Giver, Jonas experiences feelings he has never had before. This summary will cover chapter 5 and review some important quotations.
7. The Giver Chapter 6 Summary & Quotes
The two days of Ceremonies have finally arrived. Jonas and his fellow Elevens watch the younger children and reminisce as they await the Ceremony of Twelve. This lesson will summarize chapter six of Lois Lowry's ''The Giver,'' and take a look at some important quotations.
8. The Giver Chapter 7 Summary & Quotes
The Ceremony of Twelve is finally here, and Jonas and his fellow Elevens will finally learn their Assignments. In this lesson, we will summarize chapter seven of Lois Lowry's ''The Giver.''
9. The Giver Chapter 8 Summary & Quotes
The Ceremony of Twelve is over, but Jonas still does not know his Assignment. In this chapter, we learn why the Chief Elder skipped over Jonas during the Ceremony. This lesson will cover chapter eight of Lois Lowry's ''The Giver.''
10. The Giver Chapter 9 Summary & Quotes
Jonas has been selected to be the new Receiver of Memory, a highly honored position in his community. In this lesson, we will cover chapter 9 of Lois Lowry's 'The Giver,' and learn a little bit more about the training Jonas will soon undertake.
11. The Giver Chapter 10 Summary & Quotes
Jonas does not know what to expect on his first day of training as the new Receiver of Memory. In this lesson, we will look at chapter ten in Lois Lowry's The Giver, as Jonas begins his first day in his new role.
12. The Giver Chapter 11 Summary & Quotes
Jonas's training as the new Receiver of Memory has begun, and the current Receiver has decided where to start. In this summary, we will join Jonas in chapter eleven of Lois Lowry's 'The Giver,' as he receives his first memories.
13. The Giver Chapter 12 Summary & Quotes
Jonas's training to be the new Receiver of Memory is changing the way he sees things. In chapter 12, we see how training is beginning to affect him and learn more about what it means to see beyond.
14. The Giver Chapter 13 Summary & Quotes
Jonas has been learning a lot from his training as the new Receiver of Memory. In this chapter, we watch Jonas try to deal with knowing he will be the only person with access to memories.
15. The Giver Chapter 14 Summary & Quotes
For the first time, training involves memories of real pain, and Jonas begins to learn more about why there is a Receiver of Memory. This lesson will summarize chapter 14 of Lois Lowry's The Giver, including some important quotations.
16. The Giver Chapter 15 Summary & Quotes
Although Jonas has begun to receive painful memories as part of his training, there are many more painful experiences he will have to receive. In this chapter, Jonas experiences a painful memory of warfare.
17. The Giver Chapter 16 Summary & Quotes
Jonas has been receiving a lot of painful memories in his training as Receiver of Memory. In this chapter, though, Jonas begins to learn a bit more about family, and about love. This lesson will summarize chapter 16 of Lois Lowry's The Giver.
18. The Giver Chapter 17 Summary & Quotes
In this lesson, we will summarize Chapter 17 of 'The Giver' by Lois Lowry. We'll also look at a few key quotes from this chapter, in which Jonas begins to see how his new role isolates him.
19. The Giver Chapter 18 Summary & Quotes
In chapter eighteen of the Lois Lowry novel, 'The Giver,' Jonas becomes curious about release. In this lesson, we will learn more about the chapter as Jonas discovers the reason for rules about release.
20. The Giver Chapter 19 Summary & Quotes
In the nineteenth chapter of ''The Giver,'' by Lois Lowry, Jonas is given the opportunity to watch his father perform the release ceremony. In this lesson, we will learn more about chapter nineteen.
21. The Giver Chapter 20 Summary & Quotes
Jonas is horrified after learning what is truly involved in a release. After watching a video in which his father releases a newborn identical twin, Jonas and The Giver develop a plan. This lesson will summarize Chapter 20 of Lois Lowry's The Giver.
22. The Giver Chapter 21 Summary & Quotes
In this lesson, we will summarize and review the twenty-first chapter of the Lois Lowry novel, 'The Giver.' In this chapter, Jonas escapes his role of Receiver of the Memories.
23. The Giver Chapter 22 Summary & Quotes
In Chapter 22 of 'The Giver' by Lois Lowry, Jonas and Gabriel have escaped their community, but now what? In this lesson, we will summarize Chapter 22 and look at some quotes.
24. The Giver Chapter 23 Summary & Quotes
In Chapter 23 of 'The Giver' by Lois Lowry, Jonas and Gabriel are struggling in their journey but feel confident that freedom is within their grasp. In this lesson, we will summarize the final chapter of the novel.
25. The Climax & Ending of The Giver
A book's climax and its ending - two of the most important and memorable parts of its plot! In this lesson, discuss these two elements and their meanings in Lois Lowry's young adult classic, The Giver.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.