About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering The Giver literary and historical context material will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn about the historical and literal context of this novel. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who want to learn a broad topic in a short amount of time
- Students who are looking for easy ways to identify the most important information on the topic
- Students who have fallen behind in memorizing the literary and historical context of The Giver
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning literature (visual and auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who have limited time to study for an upcoming exam
How It Works:
- Watch each video in the chapter to review all key topics.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with a short quiz.
- Complete your review with The Giver Literary & Historical Context chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: The lessons in this chapter cover only the information you need to know.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Take The Giver Literary & Historical Context chapter exam to make sure you're prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any literature question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter summarizes the material students need to know about The Giver historical and literary context for a standard literature course. Topics covered include:
- Themes and summaries of the three books in The Giver series
- Biographical facts and works of author Lois Lowry
- Dystopia vs utopia society comparison
- The genre of this novel
- Reasons this book was banned in certain places and times
- Books with similar plots or themes to The Giver
1. The Giver Book Series: Summary & Themes
The Giver quartet, or series of four books by Lois Lowry, consists of ''The Giver'', ''Gathering Blue'', ''The Messenger'' and ''Son''. This lesson summarizes the plots of the four books and talks about the main themes within these novels.
2. Lois Lowry: Books, Biography & Facts
Have you ever wondered to yourself, 'Who is the writer behind the popular novel ''The Giver''?' Then you're in luck! This lesson explores the biography and major works of author Lois Lowry.
3. Is The Giver a Dystopia or a Utopia?
Imagine living in a perfect world, where everyone gets along. Does such a place actually exist? This lesson seeks to answer the question at hand: Is Lois Lowry's 'The Giver' a dystopia or a utopia?
4. What Genre is The Giver?
In literature, books are broken into different categories based on their similarities. These categories are called genres. Like many novels, ''The Giver'' actually falls into two different genres. This lesson explains the genres of ''The Giver''.
5. Why Has The Giver Been Banned?
Many groups throughout the history of the United States have targeted certain books for themes they feel are controversial or inappropriate. This results in attempts to ban books - like ''The Giver'', by Lois Lowry. In this lesson, learn why someone would want to ban this book.
6. Books like The Giver
'The Giver' presents readers with a chilling dystopian nightmare about the importance of individuality. This lesson provides an overview of books that are similar to Lois Lowry's young-adult novel in terms of plot, tone, and theme.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.