About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering the concepts of symbolism and themes from The Giver will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn about the themes and symbolism presented in this novel. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who want to learn a broad topic in a short amount of time
- Students who are looking for easy ways to identify the most important information on the topic
- Students who have fallen behind in memorizing the themes and symbolism of The Giver
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning literature (visual and auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who have limited time to study for an upcoming exam
How It Works:
- Watch each video in the chapter to review all key topics.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with a short quiz.
- Complete your review with The Giver Themes & Symbolism chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: The lessons in this chapter cover only the information you need to know.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Take The Giver Themes & Symbolism chapter exam to make sure you're prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any literature question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter summarizes the material students need to know about key symbols and themes found in The Giver for a standard literature course. Topics covered include:
- Overview of the general themes explored in this novel
- Analysis of specific themes, including personality, rules, sameness, conflict and memories, among others
- Detailed look at the symbols used to give meaning in the story, including the importance of the apples
- Use of images and imagery to provide detail
1. Themes of The Giver
The Lois Lowry novel, 'The Giver' touches on several themes, particularly surrounding happiness, pain, and freedom. This book is about a dystopian society that prefers to close their eyes to the past.
2. Personality in The Giver
In 'The Giver' by Lois Lowry, the protagonist, Jonas, lives in a community that has made the decision to suppress differences and promote Sameness. In this lesson, we will look at how this decision affects the personalities of the citizens in the community.
3. Rules in The Giver
In a community that thrives on predictability and Sameness, rules are a way of life. In this lesson, we will learn more about the rules in Jonas' community in 'The Giver' by Lois Lowry.
4. Sameness in The Giver
In 'The Giver' by Lois Lowry, the community has made the decision to sacrifice differences for Sameness and predictability. In this lesson, we'll learn more about Sameness.
5. Stirrings in The Giver
Imagine a world without deep love or affection. A world without traditional marriages or families. This is the world of ''The Giver''. This lesson explains the role of the 'stirrings' and how the government controls these feelings.
6. Conflict in The Giver
In this lesson, you will learn about the four basic types of conflict often discussed in fiction and how each type is used in Lois Lowry's 1993 young adult novel 'The Giver.'
7. Ceremonies in The Giver
Can you imagine living in a world where individuality was discouraged? That is the kind of world in which Jonas lives in Lois Lowry's 'The Giver.' In this lesson, we'll take a look at 'ceremonies' in Jonas' community and how they contribute to discouraging individuality.
8. Memories in The Giver
In 'The Giver' by Lois Lowry, Jonas has been selected to be the Receiver of Memory for the community. It is a great honor, but what does it mean? In this lesson, we will learn more about the role memories play in the community.
9. Symbols in The Giver
Symbols are everywhere in literature, and they provide insights into big issues. Lois Lowry provides a myriad of symbols in her book ''The Giver'', and in this lesson, you'll learn about a few of the biggest ones.
10. Imagery & Images in The Giver
In 'The Giver' by Lois Lowry, Jonas receives all of the memories of the past with such vivid imagery that Jonas and the reader begin to feel like part of the story. In this lesson, we will learn more about imagery in this novel.
11. The Importance of the Apple in The Giver
Jonas is a person of integrity and a rule-follower, so what was it about an apple that enticed him to break the rules about removing snacks from the recreation area? In this lesson, we will learn more about the apple in 'The Giver' by Lois Lowry.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.