About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help summarizing the chapters from The Grapes of Wrath will benefit from these lessons. There is no faster or easier way to review the event that occur in each chapter. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who want to learn a broad topic in a short amount of time
- Students who are looking for easy ways to identify the most important information on the topic
- Students who have fallen behind in summarizing the chapters from The Grapes of Wrath
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning about literature (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who have limited time to study for an upcoming exam
How It Works:
- Complete each lesson in the chapter to review all key topics.
- Refer to the lesson to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with a short quiz.
- Complete your review with The Grapes of Wrath Chapter Summaries chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: The lessons in this chapter cover only information you need to know.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging instruction and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Take The Grapes of Wrath Chapter Summaries chapter exam to make sure you're prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any literature question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: View lessons on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
These lessons summarizes all the chapters from The Grapes of Wrath for a standard literature course. You can expect to study:
- Comprehensive summaries of all 30 chapters in the book
- More information pertaining to the novel's sequence of events, characters and conflicts
1. The Grapes of Wrath Chapter 1 Summary
The first chapter of ''The Grapes of Wrath'' takes us right into the story line. In this lesson we will take a look at just what matters from Chapter 1, including opening details and the basic set up for the rest of the book.
2. The Grapes of Wrath Chapter 2 Summary
In Chapter 2 of 'The Grapes of Wrath,' we meet a stranger in some brand new clothes - an odd thing for the poor and destitute of dusty Oklahoma. Find out more details in this lesson.
3. The Grapes of Wrath Chapter 3 Summary
Chapter Three of 'The Grapes of Wrath' focuses on a turtle as it climbs an embankment and crosses a street, overcoming various obstacles along the way. This is a famous chapter in the book, both for its attention to detail and because it works as an allegory for the Joads' struggles throughout their journey.
4. The Grapes of Wrath Chapter 4 Summary
This lesson will summarize Chapter 4 of John Steinbeck's 'The Grapes of Wrath.' In this chapter, Tom Joad runs into the preacher Jim Casy, who reveals his doubts in organized religion. Casy outlines his new philosophy, and the two men walk toward the Joad homestead together, only to find it abandoned.
5. The Grapes of Wrath Chapter 5 Summary
Chapter 5 of 'The Grapes of Wrath' gives us even more detail about what happens because of the drought. We get to see a few important exchanges between the owners of the land and the tenants of the land. In this lesson, we will take a close look at just what happens and what is said.
6. The Grapes of Wrath Chapter 6 Summary
In Chapter 6 of ''The Grapes of Wrath,'' Tom and Casy finally make it to Tom's house, but get a shock when they arrive. We also meet a new character, and Casy makes an important decision.
7. The Grapes of Wrath Chapter 7 Summary
In this chapter 7 summary of John Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath, we learn about used car lots of the Great Depression. More specifically, we learn about the shady sales practices on these lots and which cars are easiest to sell.
8. The Grapes of Wrath Chapter 8 Summary
In this lesson, we will summarize Chapter 8 of John Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath. In this chapter, Tom and Casy reunite with Tom's family, who are preparing to move to California after losing their farm.
9. The Grapes of Wrath Chapter 9 Summary
In chapter nine of John Steinbeck's ''The Grapes of Wrath'', those heading west pawn their goods in an attempt to recoup some of the monetary value from them rather than throw them away. They end up selling a part of themselves in the process.
10. The Grapes of Wrath Chapter 10 Summary
Chapter 10 in ''The Grapes of Wrath'' covers the final preparations for the trip to California, including decisions about taking along Casy, whether the animals should come, and which possessions must be left behind.
11. The Grapes of Wrath Chapter 11 Summary
Chapter 11 of ''The Grapes of Wrath'' focuses on the houses that are left behind as those who abandoned them travel west, as well as the different relationships that distant land-owners have with the land, compared to those who used to work the land themselves.
12. The Grapes of Wrath Chapter 12 Summary
Chapter 12 of ''The Grapes of Wrath'' takes us on a journey from the Midwest to California. Along the way, we learn just how hard it is and how cruel people can be. We also learn that kindness and faith show up during tragedies and tough times.
13. The Grapes of Wrath Chapter 13 Summary
Chapter 13 of 'The Grapes of Wrath' has a few really important events - including two deaths and discussions of a birth. In this lesson we will take a look at some of the important highlights from the chapter.
14. The Grapes of Wrath Chapter 14 Summary
If you are reading 'The Grapes of Wrath' by John Steinbeck, you might find some of the philosophical and poetic chapters to be tough reading. Don't worry. In this lesson we will take a look at some of the quotes and happenings from Chapter 14 and what Steinbeck might be getting at with them.
15. The Grapes of Wrath Chapter 15 Summary
This lesson will summarize chapter 15 of John Steinbeck's 'The Grapes of Wrath.' Chapter 15 is one of the intercalary chapters, describing the goings-on in a roadside diner on Route 66.
16. The Grapes of Wrath Chapter 16 Summary
While fleeing Oklahoma, moving across one state border to another, the Joads and Wilsons are faced with repairing their broken down car seventy-five miles from the nearest town in chapter 16 of ''The Grapes of Wrath.''
17. The Grapes of Wrath Chapter 17 Summary
Chapter 17 of ''The Grapes of Wrath'' take us into the world of the migrants as they move along Highway 66. In this lesson, we will take a look at what life was like, especially at the camp sites, as families move westward in search of a better life.
18. The Grapes of Wrath Chapter 18 Summary
Chapter 18 from John Steinbeck's ''The Grapes of Wrath'' describes the journey of the Joad family as they travel across the Arizona desert. This brief journey finds them learning more about themselves, and how they are perceived.
19. The Grapes of Wrath Chapter 19 Summary
Chapter 19 of 'The Grapes of Wrath' takes a close look at what it means to own land. Not the dictionary definition of 'own,' but what ownership does to a person's soul. The chapter also explores why the migrants do not rise up and fight for their needs to be met.
20. The Grapes of Wrath Chapter 20 Summary
John Steinbeck brings the Joad family to Hooverville in the twentieth chapter of ''The Grapes of Wrath.'' The prospects for jobs are nonexistent, and the inner demons from several family members begin to emerge.
21. The Grapes of Wrath Chapter 21 Summary
Chapter 21 of 'The Grapes of Wrath' looks at how the mass migration of people from Oklahoma affected the places where they settled. Find out how the migrants were received and what the results were by reading on.
22. The Grapes of Wrath Chapter 22 Summary
In the twenty-second chapter of 'The Grapes of Wrath', John Steinbeck provides the Joad family with a moment to catch their breath as they arrive at a government camp. Life in the camp is similar to a commune, but it restores dignity to the downtrodden.
23. The Grapes of Wrath Chapter 23 Summary
Chapter 23 of 'The Grapes of Wrath' gives us an idea of what the migrants do for entertainment. If you've been following along in the book, you'll remember that they don't have much money. Read on to find out how they got their kicks on a small budget.
24. The Grapes of Wrath Chapter 24 Summary
Chapter 24 of 'The Grapes of Wrath' concerns a dance held at the government camp, including an attempt by the Farmers Association to start a fight and get the migrant workers in trouble with the police.
25. The Grapes of Wrath Chapter 25 Summary
Chapter 25 of 'The Grapes of Wrath' begins with a description of ripe produce. By the end of the chapter, however, we learn that small farmers cannot afford to harvest their fruit and it all goes to waste, leaving the public angry.
26. The Grapes of Wrath Chapter 26 Summary
Chapter 26 of ''The Grapes of Wrath'' has the Joads leaving the government camps to move north, where they hope to find work. But things do not go as planned, and Tom is involved in a serious fight in which Casy dies and Tom murders a man.
27. The Grapes of Wrath Chapter 27 Summary
Chapter 27 of ''The Grapes of Wrath'' describes the experience of migrants who find work picking cotton. Although the work is not highly paid, and the people weighing the cotton are often corrupt, the workers are grateful to have some work as long as it lasts, and find solidarity with one another.
28. The Grapes of Wrath Chapter 28 Summary
Chapter 28 of ''The Grapes of Wrath'' covers the Joads' new home in a boxcar, Ruthie's mistake in telling Tom's secret, and Tom's decision to leave. We also learn that Tom has changed his worldview, and that Al is going to get married.
29. The Grapes of Wrath Chapter 29 Summary
Chapter 29 of ''The Grapes of Wrath'' describes truly desperate times for the migrant families. The rains come and do not stop, leaving men in the position of begging and stealing to help their families survive until there's work again.
30. The Grapes of Wrath Chapter 30 Summary
Chapter 30 of 'The Grapes of Wrath', the final chapter of the book, includes Rose of Sharon having her baby -- a stillbirth -- and the Joad family having to move along again once their boxcar is flooded.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the The Grapes of Wrath Study Guide course
- The Grapes of Wrath Historical Context
- The Grapes of Wrath Literary Context
- The Grapes of Wrath Literary Analysis
- The Grapes of Wrath Themes
- The Grapes of Wrath Literary Elements
- The Grapes of Wrath Literary Devices
- The Grapes of Wrath Symbols & Imagery
- The Grapes of Wrath Characters
- The Grapes of Wrath Character Quotes
- The Grapes of Wrath Quotes
- Teaching The Grapes of Wrath