About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning about the characters from The Grapes of Wrath will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to review the novel's characters, their traits and their roles in the story. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who want to learn a broad topic in a short amount of time
- Students who are looking for easy ways to identify the most important information on the topic
- Students who have fallen behind in memorizing the main and supporting characters in The Grapes of Wrath
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning about literature (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who have limited time to study for an upcoming exam
How It Works:
- Complete each lesson in the chapter to review all key topics.
- Refer to the lesson to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with a short quiz.
- Complete your review with the The Grapes of Wrath Characters chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: The lessons in this chapter cover only information you need to know.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging instruction and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Take the The Grapes of Wrath Characters chapter exam to make sure you're prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any literature question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: View lessons on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter summarizes the material students need to know about the characters in The Grapes of Wrath for a standard literature course. Topics covered include:
- The Joad family tree
- The novel's protagonist and antagonist
- Tom, Ma, Pa, Al, Noah, Grampa and Granma Joad
- Preacher Jim Casy
- Rose of Sharon
- Sairy and Ivy Wilsion
- Uncle John
- Connie Rivers
- Ruthie and Winfield
- Muley Graves
- Mr. Jonas and Mrs. Aggie Wainwright
1. The Grapes of Wrath Joad Family Tree
If you area reading ''The Grapes of Wrath'', you might feel confused by all the different characters. Specifically, the Joad family tree can seem complicated. In this lesson we will take a look at who is in the Joad family and what their relationships are to each other.
2. The Grapes of Wrath: Protagonist & Antagonist
''The Grapes of Wrath'' tells the story of migrant workers during the Great Depression. In this tale, we see the roles of protagonist and antagonist filled by central characters and institutions. In this lesson, you'll learn more about each role.
3. Tom Joad in The Grapes of Wrath: Character Analysis, Description & Development
Faced with terrible conditions at home and persecuted in California, migrant workers had it tough. But in ~'The Grapes of Wrath~', their cause inspired Tom Joad, migrant worker and ex-con, to dedicate his life to making theirs better.
4. Ma Joad in The Grapes of Wrath: Character Analysis & Characterization
'The Grapes of Wrath' is the story of the Joad family and their struggles as they try to find work during the Great Depression. This lesson focuses on Ma Joad and her strength and example.
5. Pa Joad in The Grapes of Wrath: Description & Analysis
In this lesson, we will learn about Pa Joad's character in 'The Grapes of Wrath' by considering him through the lens of other characters and through his interactions with his family.
6. Preacher Jim Casy in The Grapes of Wrath: Description, Analysis & Death
Jim Casy is a lost soul in ''The Grapes of Wrath''. He provides guidance in his travels with the Joad family, but in the process learns about himself and his role in life. This lesson shows his path to becoming a union leader and a martyr.
7. Rose of Sharon in The Grapes of Wrath: Symbolism, Character Analysis & Description
Rose of Sharon is a young woman of 19 that endures the hardships of the Great Depression, along with her family, the Joads. This lesson discusses her character and her importance.
8. Grampa Joad in The Grapes of Wrath: Death, Burial & Funeral
Grampa Joad is the first to die after the Joads leave their home for a new life in California. Since money is tight, the Joads have no choice but to bury him beside the road. Casy argues that although his physical death was at the camp, his real death came before.
9. Granma Joad in The Grapes of Wrath
This lesson eulogizes old Granma Joad, the matriarch in John Steinbeck's 'The Grapes of Wrath.' We'll discover her fervent religiosity. Then we'll learn about her reaction to her husband's death and how the Joads coped with the loss of both grandparents.
10. Al Joad in The Grapes of Wrath
If you are reading ''The Grapes of Wrath'', we come across many characters. As a large family, Al is just one of the Joad children. In this lesson, we will take a look Al Joad and consider some of his important characteristics.
11. Ivy & Sairy Wilson in The Grapes of Wrath
The Joad family aren't the only ones making their way to California. In this lesson, we will get to know more about Ivy and Sairy Wilson, and older couple who joins the Joad's for part of their journey in John Steinbeck's ''The Grapes of Wrath''.
12. Connie Rivers in The Grapes of Wrath
If you would like to take a closer look at Connie Rivers from 'The Grapes of Wrath', check out this lesson. We will pinpoint some of the important moments involving Connie and examine just who he is.
13. Noah Joad in The Grapes of Wrath
A character that is underappreciated, perhaps resulting from his limited appearances, Noah Joad is a strong and independent character, qualities which belie the description given to him in John Steinbeck's ''The Grapes of Wrath''.
14. Uncle John in The Grapes of Wrath: Physical Description & Character Analysis
In this lesson we learn how Steinbeck weaves together physical descriptions of Uncle John with his actions so we can understand who he is, not just what he looks like. We also learn about the root of Uncle John's shame and why he behaves the way he does in 'The Grapes of Wrath.'
15. Ruthie & Winfield Joad in The Grapes of Wrath
In this lesson, we learn that Ruthie and Winfield are periphery characters in ''The Grapes of Wrath''. Steinbeck included them in the novel for the sake historical accuracy regarding the Great Depression.
16. Floyd in The Grapes of Wrath
Tom and Al Joad meet Floyd Knowles when they stay at the same camp while looking for work in California. Floyd has been there for awhile, so he is able to offer some hard truths to the Joads, including the corruption of the system and the need for migrants to help one another.
17. Muley Graves in The Grapes of Wrath: Importance & Function
In this lesson, we will examine the role of Muley Graves, a former neighbor from Oklahoma, who provides information about background, characterizations, and limited options in John Steinbeck's ''The Grapes of Wrath.''
18. The Wainwright Family in The Grapes of Wrath
In this lesson, learn about the role of the Wainwright family in ''The Grapes of Wrath'', the selfless family that we only get scant details about, but whose kindness shows the importance of community in dark times.
The Grapes of Wrath Character List & Flashcards
These flashcards are a tool to guide you through the plot, themes and characters in the depression-era novel, ''The Grapes of Wrath.'' Gauge your understanding of this Pulitzer Prize winning story.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the The Grapes of Wrath Study Guide course
- The Grapes of Wrath Historical Context
- The Grapes of Wrath Literary Context
- The Grapes of Wrath Literary Analysis
- The Grapes of Wrath Themes
- The Grapes of Wrath Literary Elements
- The Grapes of Wrath Literary Devices
- The Grapes of Wrath Symbols & Imagery
- The Grapes of Wrath Character Quotes
- The Grapes of Wrath Quotes
- The Grapes of Wrath Chapter Summaries
- Teaching The Grapes of Wrath