About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help understanding the historical context of John Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to study information about the novel's historical accuracy, significance and impact on society. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who want to learn a broad topic in a short amount of time
- Students who are looking for easy ways to identify the most important information on the topic
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding major historical events presented in The Grapes of Wrath
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning about literature (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who have limited time to study for an upcoming exam
How It Works:
- Complete each lesson in the chapter to review all key topics.
- Refer to the lesson to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with a short quiz.
- Complete your review with the The Grapes of Wrath Historical Context chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: The lessons in this chapter cover only information you need to know.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging instruction and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Take the The Grapes of Wrath Historical Context chapter exam to make sure you're prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any literature question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: View lessons on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter summarizes the material students need to know about the historical context of The Grapes of Wrath for a standard literature course. Topics covered include:
- John Steinbeck's purpose for writing the book
- The novel's historical significance and societal impact
- How the novel relates to the Great Depression and the Dust Bowl
- The historical accuracy of The Grapes of Wrath
1. Why Did John Steinbeck Write The Grapes of Wrath?
Steinbeck's novel, ''The Grapes of Wrath,'' is colored both by historical significance and personal detail. In this lesson, you'll learn more about why he chose to write the novel that many have since deemed controversial.
2. The Grapes of Wrath: Historical Significance & Impact on Society
John Steinbeck's classic novel 'The Grapes of Wrath' gave a voice to the tens of thousands of Americans affected by the Dust Bowl tragedy in Midwestern farming states. The novel and the subsequent 1940 film version have remained a part of American consciousness over the ensuing decades.
3. The Grapes of Wrath & The Great Depression
The classic novel The Grapes of Wrath is set during the Great Depression of the 1930s. In this lesson, we will highlight the key themes, developments, and characteristics of the Great Depression, allowing us to better understand this important work.
4. The Grapes of Wrath & The Dust Bowl
In this lesson we will learn about the historical context of the famous John Steinbeck novel, The Grapes of Wrath. Specifically, we will look at the Dust Bowl -- what it was, how it started, and the ways in which it impacted American families.
5. The Grapes of Wrath Historical Accuracy
In this lesson we learn how historical accuracy comes into play in 'The Grapes of Wrath' and how the intercalary chapters provide a larger context for the non intercalary chapters.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the The Grapes of Wrath Study Guide course
- The Grapes of Wrath Literary Context
- The Grapes of Wrath Literary Analysis
- The Grapes of Wrath Themes
- The Grapes of Wrath Literary Elements
- The Grapes of Wrath Literary Devices
- The Grapes of Wrath Symbols & Imagery
- The Grapes of Wrath Characters
- The Grapes of Wrath Character Quotes
- The Grapes of Wrath Quotes
- The Grapes of Wrath Chapter Summaries
- Teaching The Grapes of Wrath