About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering the literary devices used in The Grapes of Wrath will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn about the literary devices used in this American novel. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who want to learn a broad topic in a short amount of time
- Students who are looking for easy ways to identify the most important information on the topic
- Students who have fallen behind in memorizing literary devices used in The Grapes of Wrath, such as extended metaphor, point of view, allusion and foreshadowing
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning literature (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who have limited time to study for an upcoming exam
How It Works:
- Complete each lesson in the chapter to review all key topics.
- Refer to the lesson to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with a short quiz.
- Complete your review with The Grapes of Wrath Literary Devices chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: The lessons in this chapter cover only information you need to know.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging instruction and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Take The Grapes of Wrath Literary Devices chapter exam to make sure you're prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any literature question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: View lessons on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter summarizes the material students need to know about the literary devices used in The Grapes of Wrath for a standard literature course. Topics covered include:
- The writing style Steinbeck used in the novel
- The Grapes of Wrath rhetorical strategies and devices
- Figurative language in the novel
- Simile, metaphor, extended metaphor, allegory and point of view in the novel
- How The Grapes of Wrath used tone, mood and allusion
- The meaning and uses of foreshadowing and personification in the novel
- Examples of repetition and related quotes
- Uses of alliteration and consonance in The Grapes of Wrath
1. Steinbeck's Writing Style in The Grapes of Wrath: Language, Diction & Syntax
This lesson will examine several aspects of significant language in John Steinbeck's 1939 novel, ''The Grapes of Wrath'', and will provide examples and analysis of each.
2. Rhetorical Strategies & Devices in The Grapes of Wrath
In this lesson, we will examine the use of rhetorical strategies by John Steinbeck in ''The Grapes of Wrath'', a novel about surviving the Great Depression.
3. Examples of Figurative Language in The Grapes of Wrath
In this lesson, we will examine some examples of figurative language from John Steinbeck's novel 'The Grapes of Wrath,' which is about a family who has lost everything and is trying to start over.
4. The Grapes of Wrath: Simile & Metaphor
'The Grapes of Wrath' by John Steinbeck is a novel about the Joad family who lose everything in the Dust Bowl in Oklahoma. In this lesson, we will examine the use of simile and metaphor in this novel.
5. Extended Metaphor in The Grapes of Wrath: Examples & Meaning
In this lesson, we will define extended metaphors and examine some examples of extended metaphors from John Steinbeck's 'The Grapes of Wrath,' a story about a family during the Great Depression.
6. Allegory in The Grapes of Wrath: Examples & Meaning
In this lesson we learn about allegory, consider several of the allegories Steinbeck uses in the 'Grapes of Wrath', and come to understand what these allegories mean for the novel.
7. Point of View in The Grapes of Wrath
In this lesson, we learn about different points of view in 'The Grapes of Wrath,' how we come to focus mainly on Tom Joad, and why Steinbeck shifted point of views in the intercalary chapters.
8. The Grapes of Wrath: Tone & Mood
Steinbeck's use of language in ''The Grapes of Wrath'' not only helps to set the tone of the piece, but also the mood. In this lesson, we'll take a closer look some of the tones derived from his writing, and moods the reader may experience.
9. Allusion in The Grapes of Wrath
In this lesson, we will examine some examples of allusion from ''The Grapes of Wrath'' by John Steinbeck. This novel follows the Joad family as they lose their farm in Oklahoma to become migrant workers in California during the Dust Bowl.
10. Foreshadowing in The Grapes of Wrath: Examples & Meaning
''The Grapes of Wrath,~' written by John Steinbeck, is the story of the Joads a family that has been affected by the Great Depression. This lesson provides Steinbeck's ability to weave foreshadowing into his story.
11. Personification in The Grapes of Wrath: Examples & Meaning
What is personification? How does it come into play in ''Grapes of Wrath''? If you are wondering about these questions, or if you have an assignment to explore personification, you're in luck. In this lesson we will take a straight-forward approach to understanding personification.
12. Repetition in The Grapes of Wrath: Examples & Quotes
In this lesson, we will examine the use of repetition in John Steinbeck's novel 'The Grapes of Wrath,' which follows the Joad family from their failing farm in Oklahoma to new opportunities in California during the Dust Bowl.
13. The Grapes of Wrath: Alliteration & Consonance
In this lesson, we will examine John Steinbeck's use of consonance and alliteration as literary devices that draw attention to the detailed descriptions of the settings in ''The Grapes of Wrath''.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the The Grapes of Wrath Study Guide course
- The Grapes of Wrath Historical Context
- The Grapes of Wrath Literary Context
- The Grapes of Wrath Literary Analysis
- The Grapes of Wrath Themes
- The Grapes of Wrath Literary Elements
- The Grapes of Wrath Symbols & Imagery
- The Grapes of Wrath Characters
- The Grapes of Wrath Character Quotes
- The Grapes of Wrath Quotes
- The Grapes of Wrath Chapter Summaries
- Teaching The Grapes of Wrath