About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering quotes in The Grapes of Wrath will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn about important quotes found in this novel. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who want to learn a broad topic in a short amount of time
- Students who are looking for easy ways to identify the most important information on the topic
- Students who have fallen behind in memorizing The Grapes of Wrath quotes about unity, hope, poverty, money and more
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning literature (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who have limited time to study for an upcoming exam
How It Works:
- Complete each lesson in the chapter to review all key topics.
- Refer to the lesson to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with a short quiz.
- Complete your review with The Grapes of Wrath Quotes chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: The lessons in this chapter cover only information you need to know.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging instruction and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Take The Grapes of Wrath Quotes chapter exam to make sure you're prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any literature question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: View lessons on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter summarizes the material students need to know about quotes in The Grapes of Wrath for a standard literature course. Topics covered include:
- Quotes about family, community and children in The Grapes of Wrath
- Money, wealth and banks quotes in the novel
- The Grapes of Wrath quotes about work, technology, tractors, California and government
- Anger, hate, hope, land and the Dust Bowl quotes
- Quotes about unity, togetherness, homelessness and poverty in the novel
- Migrant worker, Okies, migration, hunger and starvation quotes
- The Grapes of Wrath quotes about religion, the Promised Land, inhumanity, naturalism, transcendentalism and realism
- Quotes about the American Dream, socialism, Marxism, communism and capitalism
- Great Depression, selfishness, greed and prejudice quotes
1. The Grapes of Wrath Quotes: Family, Community & Children
'The Grapes of Wrath' explores the themes of family, community, and children, as well as how these groups and institutions play a role in the lives of the migrant workers. This lesson looks closely at several key quotes that pertain to these themes.
2. The Grapes of Wrath Quotes: Money, Wealth & Banks
In 'The Grapes of Wrath', Steinbeck is critical of banks and wealthy landowners for being exploitative and cruel to the working class, and for causing a division between mankind and the land. Through quotes in the book that relate to the themes of money, wealth and banks, we explore Steinbeck's personification of banks, his depiction of the corrupting influence of money and empathetic portrayal of the poor.
3. The Grapes of Wrath Work Quotes
What does the theme of work have to do with the book ''The Grapes of Wrath''? If you are looking for the answer to this question, look no further. In this lesson, we will take a look at some important quotes about work from ''The Grapes of Wrath.''
4. Technology & Tractor Quotes in The Grapes of Wrath
Steinbeck discusses tractors and technology frequently in 'The Grapes of Wrath', as it is technology - usually in the form of tractors - that forces so many people off their land. This lesson looks at a few themes and quotes within these discussions.
5. Quotes About California in The Grapes of Wrath
Steinbeck's classic novel 'The Grapes of Wrath' is based on the reality of mass migration to California during the 1930s after the farm area of the Great Plains turned to into the so-called Dust Bowl. Quotes about California reflect the meaning of this migration.
6. The Grapes of Wrath Government Quotes
In this lesson, we will examine the role of family, community, and federal government during the Great Depression in John Steinbeck's ''The Grapes of Wrath''. We will look at quotes in the novel that illustrate the social governance that operated within in the Joad family and the migrant community. We will also review quotes that describe political changes in the federal government that influenced the lives of the starving working class.
7. Anger & Hate Quotes in The Grapes of Wrath
''The Grapes of Wrath'' is the story of the Joads that move from Oklahoma to California during the Great Depression in hopes of finding work. This lesson discusses the hatred in the story.
8. Quotes About Hope in The Grapes of Wrath
The Joad family experiences multiple hardships through the Great Depression, but learn that as long as they are unified, there is always hope. In this lesson, we will examine quotes about hope from John Steinbeck's ''The Grapes of Wrath''.
9. The Grapes of Wrath Quotes: Land & The Dust Bowl
''The Grapes of Wrath'' is the story of the Joads and their journey from Oklahoma to California in hope of work in the migrant camps. This lesson provides quotes and background on the Dust Bowl and its effect on the people.
10. The Grapes of Wrath Quotes: Unity & Togetherness
Unity and togetherness are key themes in 'The Grapes of Wrath' both on the level of family and friendship and also on the larger scale of class - there are frequent discussions about the migrants organizing against the landowners. This lesson looks at some of the key quotes about these themes.
11. The Grapes of Wrath Quotes: Homelessness & Poverty
In this lesson, we will learn how Steinbeck shows that the Great Depression and the Dust Bowl environment led to to the poverty and homelessness of thousands of farmers, such as the Joads.
12. The Grapes of Wrath Quotes: Migrant Workers, Okies & Migration
Central to ''The Grapes of Wrath'' is the issue of the mass migration of workers into California during the Great Depression. This lesson looks at quotes that describe how this migration was experienced by both the migrants and by the people in the communities that absorbed them.
13. The Grapes of Wrath Quotes: Hunger & Starvation
In this lesson, we will examine some quotes on hunger and starvation from John Steinbeck's ''The Grapes of Wrath'', which takes place during the Great Depression.
14. The Grapes of Wrath Quotes: Biblical, Religion & Promised Land
In this lesson we will examine the religious transformations undergone by the characters in John Steinbeck's ''The Grapes of Wrath'' as they move from Oklahoma to what they hope is the Promised Land of California, by looking at quotes from the novel.
15. The Grapes of Wrath Inhumanity Quotes
In this lesson, we will examine quotes from John Steinbeck's ''The Grapes of Wrath'' that focus on the inhumanity that is faced by the displaced sharecroppers during the Great Depression.
16. The Grapes of Wrath Quotes: Naturalism & Transcendentalism
This lesson provides brief definitions of naturalism and transcendentalism, what they mean in literature, and how to apply them to The Grapes of Wrath.
17. The Grapes of Wrath Realism Quotes
In this lesson we will learn how Steinbeck represents realism, particularly social realism, in the 'Grapes of Wrath.' We also come to understand how nature effects the social economic status of tenant farmers.
18. The Grapes of Wrath American Dream Quotes
This lesson explores John Steinbeck's representation of the American Dream through quotes and dialogue from 'The Grapes of Wrath.' We'll learn how Steinbeck mixes desperation and faith with allusions to the Bible. Then, we'll take a look at the struggles of migrant workers.
19. The Grapes of Wrath Economy Quotes: Socialism, Marxism & Communism
This lesson will identify and explain some key quotes that refer to the economics of Socialism, Marxism, and/or Communism in John Steinbeck's 1939 novel, ''The Grapes of Wrath.''
20. The Grapes of Wrath Capitalism Quotes
In this lesson, we will examine how capitalism works against the Joad family, who loses everything during the Great Depression in John Steinbeck's ''The Grapes of Wrath''.
21. The Grapes of Wrath Great Depression Quotes
In this lesson, we learn about why Steinbeck set ''The Grapes of Wrath'' during the Great Depression, the struggle of the tenant farmers, the kindness of the poor, and the inhumanity of the corporate land owners.
22. The Grapes of Wrath Quotes: Selfishness & Greed
In this lesson we learn about the greed and selfishness of individuals, corporate land owners, and banks in 'The Grapes of Wrath,' and how a system of those who have and those who don't is perpetrated during the Great Depression.
23. The Grapes of Wrath Prejudice Quotes
In this lesson, we will examine some of the prejudices that are evident in John Steinbeck's ''The Grapes of Wrath'' against Native Americans, migrant workers from Oklahoma, and immigrants.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the The Grapes of Wrath Study Guide course
- The Grapes of Wrath Historical Context
- The Grapes of Wrath Literary Context
- The Grapes of Wrath Literary Analysis
- The Grapes of Wrath Themes
- The Grapes of Wrath Literary Elements
- The Grapes of Wrath Literary Devices
- The Grapes of Wrath Symbols & Imagery
- The Grapes of Wrath Characters
- The Grapes of Wrath Character Quotes
- The Grapes of Wrath Chapter Summaries
- Teaching The Grapes of Wrath