About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help analyzing or understanding the themes of The Grapes of Wrath will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to analyze the novel's themes and conflicts. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who want to learn a broad topic in a short amount of time
- Students who are looking for easy ways to identify the most important information on the topic
- Students who have fallen behind in memorizing the themes of conflict, capitalism and family in The Grapes of Wrath
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning about literature (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who have limited time to study for an upcoming exam
How It Works:
- Complete each lesson in the chapter to review all key topics.
- Refer to the lesson to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with a short quiz.
- Complete your review with the The Grapes of Wrath Themes chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: The lessons in this chapter cover only information you need to know.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging instruction and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Take the The Grapes of Wrath Themes chapter exam to make sure you're prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any literature question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: View lessons on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter summarizes the material students need to know about themes from The Grapes of Wrath for a standard literature course. Topics covered include:
- Major themes from The Grapes of Wrath, including family, the American Dream, survival, unity, and hope
- Evidence of greed, selfishness, dehumanization and inhumanity from the novel
- Economic themes related to capitalism, socialism, communism and Marxism
- Man vs. man, class and internal conflicts from The Grapes of Wrath
- Use of machines, banks and the bank monster metaphor
1. The Grapes of Wrath Themes: Overview & Examples
This lesson will provide an overview of major themes in 'The Grapes of Wrath,' John Steinbeck's 1939 novel about the struggles of the Joad family during the Great Depression.
2. Family in The Grapes of Wrath: Theme, Importance & Analysis
In this lesson, we'll analyze the theme of family in ''The Grapes of Wrath'' through the lens of the male characters. At the end of this lesson, you'll be able to evaluate Steinbeck's representation of the family in a rapidly-changing society.
3. The Grapes of Wrath: Dehumanization & Inhumanity
The migrant workers in ''The Grapes of Wrath,', including the Joad family, experience inhumanity and dehumanizing behavior from farmers and townspeople on a nearly constant basis. This dehumanization occurs through both language and living conditions.
4. The American Dream in The Grapes of Wrath: Theme & Analysis
In this lesson we will learn the meaning of the American Dream as represented in ''The Grapes of Wrath.'' First, we'll examine various interpretations of the Dream. Then, we'll explore John Steinbeck's critique of it.
5. Economic Themes in The Grapes of Wrath: Socialism, Communism & Marxism
John Steinbeck's 'The Grapes of Wrath' describes social conditions during the Great Depression. This type of condition creates the opportunity to analyze from socialist, communist, and Marxist perspective.
6. Capitalism in The Grapes of Wrath: Examples & Criticism
In this lesson we will understand how John Steinbeck depicts capitalism in ''The Grapes of Wrath.'' We will also learn why he was critical of capitalism and ways in which his characters fight against it.
7. Conflict in The Grapes of Wrath: Internal, Class & Man vs. Man
In this lesson, we will examine the various types of conflict that drive the plot of 'The Grapes of Wrath' by John Steinbeck. It is a novel about overcoming obstacles during the Great Depression.
8. The Grapes of Wrath: Banks & The Bank Monster Metaphor
In this lesson, we will cover the ways in which Steinbeck describes banks as monsters, how these monsters survive, what they feed on, and what makes them so terrifying.
9. Machines in The Grapes of Wrath
In this lesson, we will explore the themes in ''The Grapes of Wrath'' that evoke the intimate connection between land and farmer. We will look at the symbols Steinbeck uses to contrast and conflict with that relationship: bank foreclosures and farming machinery.
10. Greed & Selfishness in The Grapes of Wrath: Examples & Meaning
''The Grapes of Wrath'' is a story of the Joad family and their journey to find work and success during the Great Depression. This lesson focuses on how greed and selfishness play a part in the story.
11. Hope in The Grapes of Wrath: Theme & Symbols
In this lesson we learn that in 'The Grapes of Wrath' the characters survive in part by finding hope in one another and that Steinbeck uses symbols of hope as a way to represent the best of humanity in the novel.
12. Unity in The Grapes of Wrath: Theme & Examples
As the Joad family learns during the Great Depression, the only way they can survive is by uniting with others. In this lesson we will examine the theme of unity in John Steinbeck's ''The Grapes of Wrath.''
13. Survival in The Grapes of Wrath: Theme & Quotes
This lesson will discuss the theme of survival in John Steinbeck's 1939 novel, ''The Grapes of Wrath,'' and discuss how select quotes illustrate this theme.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the The Grapes of Wrath Study Guide course
- The Grapes of Wrath Historical Context
- The Grapes of Wrath Literary Context
- The Grapes of Wrath Literary Analysis
- The Grapes of Wrath Literary Elements
- The Grapes of Wrath Literary Devices
- The Grapes of Wrath Symbols & Imagery
- The Grapes of Wrath Characters
- The Grapes of Wrath Character Quotes
- The Grapes of Wrath Quotes
- The Grapes of Wrath Chapter Summaries
- Teaching The Grapes of Wrath