About This Chapter
The History of Georgia - Chapter Summary
Learn about Georgia's geography and history by watching engaging video lessons taught by subject experts. You'll find out how Georgia was settled and take a walk through colonial Georgia to learn about cultural and political features of the state during this period. These lessons describe the impact of the Civil War on Georgia and follow Georgia's progression, politically and economically, through the 1970s and into present day. After watching the videos in this chapter, you'll have knowledge of:
- Impact of European settlers on Georgia
- Georgia's role in the republic after the American Revolution
- Culture, politics and economics of Georgia from 1789 to 1840
- The Civil Rights Movement in Georgia
- Social and cultural changes since 1970
- Government structure at the state and local levels
The dynamic graphics used to teach you about Georgia bring these lessons to life in a way that makes learning fun. Each lesson has a transcript you can refer back to if you want to review a key concept or if you just prefer to follow along when watching the video. Video tags are useful for finding major points in each video, and you can take a quiz to test your knowledge of the history of Georgia.
1. Geography & Early History of Georgia
In this lesson we will look at the geography of Georgia and examine its key geographical features. We will also learn about the early history of Georgia and highlight key themes and developments.
2. Key Features of Colonial Georgia
This lesson will examine the key features of Colonial Georgia. We will highlight the important social, political, and economic aspects of Colonial Georgia. A short quiz follows the lesson.
3. Georgia's Role in the American Revolution
In this lesson we will learn about the role Georgia played in the American Revolution. We will understand how the colony of Georgia felt about the revolution, and highlight key developments related to Georgia's history at the time.
4. Factors Impacting Georgia's Development from 1789-1840
In this lesson we will learn about the history of Georgia between 1789-1840. We will highlight the key events and developments in Georgian history during this time, and see how they affected Georgia's development.
5. How Georgia Was Impacted By Civil War & Reconstruction
In this lesson we will learn how Georgia was impacted by the Civil War and Reconstruction. We will examine key themes and developments in Georgia's history following the Civil War.
6. Key Changes in Georgia from 1877-1970
In this lesson, we will learn about the key changes that took place in Georgia between 1877 to 1970. We will highlight important political, economic, and social developments, and learn why they are important to Georgia's history.
7. Georgia's Role in the Civil Rights Movement
Georgia has played an important role in Southern history across the years. In this lesson, we'll look at Georgia's place in the Civil Rights Movement and see how Georgians impacted desegregation.
8. Important Events in Georgia History Since 1970
Georgia has played a major role in US history, and that influence isn't limited to events like the Civil War. In this lesson, we'll talk about modern Georgian history and see what events shaped the state as we know it today.
9. State & Local Government Structure in Georgia
Georgia is an important state within the USA, and a unique one. In this lesson, we are going to explore the various levels of government within Georgia and see how each impacts the lives of Georgian citizens.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GACE Middle Grades Social Science (015): Practice & Study Guide course
- European Colonies in North America (1497-1732)
- Important Events Leading to the American Revolution
- Events & Leaders of the American Revolution
- The Making of a Nation after the American Revolution
- The Virginia Dynasty
- Manifest Destiny & American Expansion
- Everyday Life in Antebellum America
- Jacksonian Democracy
- Buildup to the American Civil War
- The American Civil War
- After the Civil War: Reconstruction
- Westward Expansion, Industrialization & Urbanization (1870-1900)
- American Imperialism & World War I
- The Progressive Era of the Early 20th Century
- 1920s America
- America and the Great Depression
- U.S. Involvement in World War ll (1941-1945)
- Post-World War ll America (1946-1959)
- The Cold War in America (1950-1973)
- Civil Rights & Other Movements in the US (1954-1973)
- America in the 1970s
- America in the 1980s
- Recent American History (1992-2013)
- Introduction to Government
- Introduction to Economics
- The Judicial Branch of the U.S.
- The U.S.'s Legislative Branch
- Presidential Elections, Powers & Processes
- History of Political Parties in the U.S.
- Latin American History
- Canadian History
- European History: Geography, Colonization, WWI & Russia
- European History: The 1920s & 1930s
- European History: The Rise of Fascism
- European History: World War II
- European History: Post-War Europe
- European History: Cold War Europe
- European History: Integration in Europe after the Soviet Union
- Australian History
- Overview of African History
- Asian History
- GACE Middle Grades Social Science Flashcards