About This Chapter
The History & Role of School Counselors - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you will look at the role of counselor to students as it has been fulfilled in the past, and identify some of the directions that role may take moving into the future. The lessons also offer insights into functions served by school counselors at various educational levels.
You will learn how school counselors offer many services to their students and can consult with parents and other professionals, about the professional resources that exist for counselors and how they can help you, and much more. Upon completion of this chapter, you will have read about:
- Organizations and research resources for school counselors
- Advantages of joining a professional organization
- Current movements and history of school counseling
- Domains, uses, components and alignment of the ASCA national model and standards
- School counselors as advocates, leaders and guidance counselors
- How to provide consultation, support student retention and matriculation
- Middle, secondary and elementary school counseling
The mobile nature of this study guide enables you to schedule your study sessions at your own convenience. Readily accessible 24/7 from any device and in any location that offers internet access, these short lessons, quizzes and chapter tests combine to form a powerful addition to your overall strategy. Our expert instructors and subject-area specialists are available for consultation or assistance upon request, so help is never far away.
1. Research Resources for School Counselors
In this lesson, we will help school counselors understand how to use research to advocate for the profession. To do this, we will look at examples of useful research resources, how to access these sources, and how to interpret research to impact student learning.
2. Professional Organizations for School Counselors
As a school counselor, you can sometimes feel isolated and in need of a professional community. This lesson teaches you about professional organizations for school counselors, how you can access them, and how they will help you.
3. Benefits of Joining Professional Organizations for Counselors
Counselors are valuable professionals and serve as important resources for communities, whether working in schools, community centers or private practices. This lesson will discuss the benefits of joining a professional organization for counselors.
4. School Counseling: History & Trends
This lesson will provide an overview of the history of the school counseling profession, and how trends in society can impact the role of school counseling.
5. ASCA National Model: Components & Alignment
What exactly is the role of a school counselor, and how do students benefit from school counseling programs? This lesson explores the four major components of the school counselor's job.
6. ASCA National Standards: Domains & Use
In this lesson, we explore the American School Counselor Association (ASCA) National Standards for Students and the principles which guide school counselors when counseling students.
7. The Role of the School Guidance Counselor
School guidance counselors are essential parts of the education system. This lesson will discuss the role of school guidance counselors and the important contributions they make.
8. How School Counselors Function as Leaders
School counselors are vital members of the educational leadership team. This lesson will discuss how school counselors function as leaders and will end with a quiz to test what you have learned.
9. How School Counselors Act as Advocates
School counselors work on behalf of students and families as advocates. This lesson will explore this role of advocacy and will end with a brief quiz to test what you have learned.
10. Providing Consultation as a School Counselor
School counselors are essential members of the educational staff in schools. This lesson will explore the ways school counselors provide consultation. We will end with a short quiz to see what you have learned.
11. Supporting Student Retention & Matriculation as a Counselor
School counselors are essential for student success. This lesson will discuss how school counselors support student retention and matriculation and will end with a short quiz.
12. Counseling in Elementary Schools
Ever wonder what an elementary school counselor does? In this lesson, we will look into counseling at an elementary school, including types of counseling and strategies used in the process.
13. Counseling in Middle/Secondary Schools
How do middle and high school counselors guide their students? In this lesson, we're going to look into the different formats they use and how these benefit their students.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Professional School Counselor (5421): Practice & Study Guide course
- Understanding Human Growth & Development
- Theories of Identity Formation & Social Development
- Ethics & School Counseling
- Professional Development for School Counselors
- School and System Governance
- Legal Issues in School Counseling
- Guidance & Counseling Strategies for Schools
- Group Counseling
- Teaching Students About Career Development
- Instructional & Behavioral Management Strategies in Class
- Crisis Intervention for School Counselors
- Student Diversity & Issues in School Counseling
- Consultation in School Counseling
- Interventions & Accommodations in School Counseling
- Management in School Counseling
- Accountability in School Counseling
- Assessment Issues in School Counseling
- School Counseling & Student Outcomes
- Praxis Professional School Counselor Flashcards