About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering material within the chapters of The Hobbit will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn about the book's content. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who want to learn a broad topic in a short amount of time
- Students who are looking for easy ways to identify the most important information on the topic
- Students who have fallen behind in memorizing the plot and character developments throughout each chapter of The Hobbit
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning literature (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who have limited time to study for an upcoming exam
How It Works:
- Complete each lesson in the chapter to review all key topics.
- Refer to the lesson to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with a short quiz.
- Complete your review with The Hobbit Chapter Summaries practice exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: The lessons in this chapter cover only information you need to know.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging instruction makes the novel's plot easy to follow.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Take The Hobbit Chapter Summaries practice exam to make sure you're prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any literature question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: View lessons on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter summarizes the material students need to know about each chapter of The Hobbit for a standard literature course. Topics covered include:
- Detailed summaries of chapters 1-10 of The Hobbit
- Examining chapters 11-15 of the novel
- An analysis of the last four chapters in the book
1. The Hobbit Chapter 1 Summary
In this lesson, we will take a look at some of the important events from Book 1, Chapter 1 of J.R.R. Tolkien's 'The Hobbit.' The chapter is called 'An Unexpected Feast.'
2. The Hobbit Chapter 2 Summary
Chapter 2 of J.R.R. Tolkien's 'The Hobbit' kicks off the 'There' portion of 'There and Back Again'. Bilbo joins back up with Thorin and his crew the morning after their party, and they hit the road. Let's go along with them.
3. The Hobbit Chapter 3 Summary
After Bilbo and his friends escape the trolls, they're in for some rest and relaxation. Gandalf has suggested that they head for Rivendell, and the group spends most of Chapter 3 hanging out there with Elrond and his elves.
4. The Hobbit Chapter 4 Summary
In Chapter 4 of 'The Hobbit' by J.R.R. Tolkien, the band of adventurers leave Rivendell and see their first taste of real adventure. A nasty storm is just the beginning of their troubles - let's see what happens.
5. The Hobbit Chapter 5 Summary
Bilbo wakes up in the dark Chapter 5 of J.R.R. Tolkien's 'The Hobbit', and then he makes an important discovery. Let's jump in to see what happens to Bilbo in 'Riddles in the Dark.'
6. The Hobbit Chapter 6 Summary
Chapter Six is a turning point in J.R.R. Tolkien's classic tale 'The Hobbit', as the company has now escaped from the goblins and passed through the Misty Mountains. Yet, they are certainly not out of danger.
7. The Hobbit Chapter 7 Summary
Chapter 7 of J.R.R. Tolkien's 'The Hobbit' is another chapter of rest for the party. Gandalf takes the group, via flying eagle, to see another powerful person at a place called the Carrock. Here's what happens.
8. The Hobbit Chapter 8 Summary
Having bid goodbye to Gandalf, Bilbo and the dwarves prepare to begin the next phase of their dangerous journey. But what awaits them in the forest of Mirkwood? Learn more in this summary of Chapter 8 in J.R.R. Tolkien's 'The Hobbit.'
9. The Hobbit Chapter 9 Summary
In Chapter 9 of ~'The Hobbit~' Bilbo finally shines. Thorin and the rest of the dwarves are captured by elves in Mirkwood Forest, and it's up to Bilbo to get them out. Let's jump in and how he does it.
10. The Hobbit Chapter 10 Summary
Though the dwarves and Bilbo have managed to make it to Lake Town, but so have the elves. And, they are not happy to see their former prisoners going free.
11. The Hobbit Chapter 11 Summary
This lesson provides an overview of the action that takes place in Chapter 11 of J.R.R. Tolkien's 'The Hobbit.' In this chapter, Bilbo and the dwarves reach the Lonely Mountain and try for a long time to find a way in.
12. The Hobbit Chapter 12 Summary
Bilbo has his showdown with the big bad dragon Smaug in Chapter 12 of J.R.R. Tolkien's 'The Hobbit', where he steals a cup and then talks his way out of getting roasted. Here's how it goes down.
13. The Hobbit Chapter 13 Summary
Chapter 13 of J.R.R. Tolkien's 'The Hobbit' is quiet and tense. Smaug is gone and the dwarves aren't sure what to do. They wait several days, then decide to head down into the main lair. Here's what they find.
14. The Hobbit Chapter 14 Summary
The dwarves are safely out of Smaug's lair, but they are still on the lookout for the dragon since they do not know what has happened to him. Let's learn Smaug's fate in this summary of Chapter 14 in J.R.R. Tolkien's 'The Hobbit.'
15. The Hobbit Chapter 15 Summary
Smaug is dead! Bilbo and the dwarves should be happy, but instead they are facing an army of angry men and elves, who think they deserve a share of the treasure for themselves.
16. The Hobbit Chapter 16 Summary
Bilbo's been doing a lot of legwork since he got to the Lonely Mountain with Thorin's group, and that's still the case in Chapter 16 of J.R.R. Tolkien's 'The Hobbit'. It falls to Bilbo to prevent an all-out war. Let's see what he does.
17. The Hobbit Chapter 17 Summary
It's the climactic showdown in Chapter 17 of 'The Hobbit', by J.R.R. Tolkien. The forces of men and elves are at the door of the Mountain, the dwarven reinforcements are ready to jump in, and the goblins are on their way. Let's see how it shakes out.
18. The Hobbit Chapter 18 Summary
The battle is over, and Bilbo has survived. But not everyone has been so lucky! As a good friend and sometimes enemy lies on his deathbed, Bilbo must make amends before it is too late.
19. The Hobbit Chapter 19 Summary
The adventure's over, but Bilbo's not quite home yet. In Chapter 19 of J.R.R. Tolkien's 'The Hobbit', Gandalf and Bilbo head back to Hobbiton by way of Rivendell. Let's see what happens on Bilbo's way home.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the The Hobbit Study Guide course