About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering material about the characters, setting, climax and other story elements of The Hobbit will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn about different aspects of this novel. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who want to learn a broad topic in a short amount of time
- Students who are looking for easy ways to identify the most important information on the topic
- Students who have fallen behind in memorizing the story elements of The Hobbit
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning about The Hobbit(visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who have limited time to study for an upcoming exam
How It Works
- Complete each lesson in the chapter to review all key topics.
- Refer to the lesson to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with a short quiz.
- Complete your review with The Hobbit Story Elements chapter exam.
Why It Works
- Study Efficiently: The lessons in this chapter cover only information you need to know.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging instruction makes topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Take The Hobbit Story Elements chapter exam to make sure you're prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any question regarding any element of The Hobbit story. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: View lessons on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter summarizes the material students need to know about The Hobbit story elements for a standard literature course. Topics covered include:
- The Hobbit timeline
- Characters and kingdoms from the novel
- The Hobbit Quotes
- Setting and climax of the story
- The ring in The Hobbit'
- Vocabulary words found throughout the book
1. The Hobbit Timeline
Even though it's a short book, J.R.R. Tolkien's novel The Hobbit, or There and Back Again covers a long span of time - about eight years. Let's take a look at what Tolkien packs into this little adventure story.
2. Climax of the Hobbit
The climax of Tolkien's 'The Hobbit' is not as easy to identify as you might think. There are two connecting layers to the plot line, and each has its own climactic event. This lesson will help you understand how the two goals connect.
3. The Hobbit Setting
Don't know the difference between Middle-earth and Midgard? Wondering where exactly Bilbo Baggins is? In that case, this lesson on the setting of 'The Hobbit' can help.
4. The Hobbit Characters
The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien is a rich fantasy world with great characters - from the main character Bilbo Baggins to supporting characters like the wizard Gandalf, dwarves, and a dragon. This lesson explores the important characters in The Hobbit.
5. The Hobbit Kingdoms
'The Hobbit', precursor story of the Lord of the Rings Trilogy, was written by J.R.R. Tolkien, a professor from Oxford.This story is about Bilbo Baggins, a hobbit from the shire, and how his simple and ordinary life is upended when he joins a group of dwarves on an adventure of a lifetime. He travels through all of the Middle Kingdom to help his new found friends get their home back.
6. The Ring in The Hobbit
If you are familiar with J.R.R. Tolkien's 'Lord of the Rings' trilogy, you probably know about the One Ring. But in Tolkien's earlier book, 'The Hobbit', the Ring has a different role, which we will explore in this lesson.
7. The Hobbit Quotes
This lesson discusses some famous quotes from 'The Hobbit' by J. R. R. Tolkien. From hobbits to adventures to riddles, at the end of this lesson you'll know some of the key lines from this well-known story about Bilbo Baggins.
8. The Hobbit Vocabulary Words
The Hobbit is the infamous story of Bilbo Baggins and his journey to help get the lands back for the Dwarves. He is the group's resident thief but also becomes their conscience as they fight for their home. Written by J.R.R. Tolkien, the vocabulary and writing style showcases Tolkien's education and love of mythology.
The Hobbit Character List & Flashcards
Use this flashcard set to learn the identities of the main characters and settings for J.R.R. Tolkien's novel, ''The Hobbit''. You will also learn how to characterize the fantastic creatures that grace the story's pages.
The Hobbit Vocabulary Words Flashcards
J.R.R. Tolkien's 1937 novel ''The Hobbit'' uses a diverse and extensive vocabulary that adds richness and depth to the narrative. Use these flashcards to review some of the more advanced words used in the book.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the The Hobbit Study Guide course