About This Chapter
The Holocaust Lesson Plans & Resources - Chapter Summary
If you're looking for non-conventional ways to teach your history students about events and key places related to the Holocaust, you'll find these lesson plans and resources helpful in reaching your goal. Get ideas for classroom group and individual activities and extended research projects that can help students gain a better understanding of important events during the Holocaust and related topics including concentration camps, Kristallnacht, genocide, the bystander effect, the Warsaw ghetto, and the Nuremberg Trials.
Lessons accompanying these lesson plans can expand class discussions and broaden your current classroom materials on this subject. Use lesson quizzes to measure what your students have retained.
How It Helps
- Homework or classwork suggestions: Outlines activities and research projects that you can incorporate into Holocaust lesson plans to help students explore more facts about the Holocaust
- Student engagement: Describes creative ways you can keep students engaged and encourage class participation
- Class discussion questions/topics: Provides ideas for classroom discussions that can expand upon your current lesson plans
- Additional resources: Uses lessons to supplement your existing classroom materials
How It Works
This helpful resource offers teachers lesson plan outlines with relevant tools to make planning Holocaust lessons easy.
- Use lesson plan outlines for specific Holocaust topics you want to cover in class.
- Formulate your history class outline using the suggested classroom tools offered in the lesson plans.
- Share the related Holocaust lessons with students in class to make learning fun and engaging.
- Use related lesson quizzes to ensure your students understand the most important aspects of the Holocaust.
- Engage your students with relevant Holocaust-related activities, discussion questions or other materials found in the lesson plan outline.
1. Warsaw Ghetto Lesson Plan
Teachers may use these lesson plans to teach students about the Warsaw Ghetto. Students will learn about the living conditions in the ghetto, summarize the uprising, and research some of the heroes that emerged.
2. The Nuremberg Trials Lesson Plan
Use this lesson plan to teach your students about the Nuremberg Trials. Students will read a text lesson that explains the background, purpose, and rules of the trials as well as detailing the process, verdicts and legacy. Discussion questions and a research activity make concepts stick.
3. Holocaust Research Project Ideas
Teaching students about the holocaust provides them with valuable information to arm them against conforming to propaganda and stereotypes that divide us. These project ideas support a cross-curricular approach to teaching about the holocaust.
4. Holocaust Project Ideas
Prejudice and discrimination led to the dehumanization of many people during the holocaust. The projects in this article help students understand the history of the holocaust and recognize the roles that regular citizens played during this time.
5. Kristallnacht Lesson Plan
Students will learn about the heart-wrenching discriminatory acts against Jewish people in this lesson plan. Students will read the lesson, participate in discussion questions, complete an activity and take a quiz.
6. The Holocaust Lesson Plan for Elementary School
This lesson plan is a tool for helping students learn about the Holocaust. Students will answer questions about a text and explain the roles that various people played in the Holocaust.
7. Concentration Camps Lesson Plan
In this lesson plan, students will learn about concentration camps during the Holocaust. While examining an informational text, students will engage in a discussion and label a map of the concentration camps. As a performance task, students will complete a writing prompt.
8. Nazi Concentration Camps: History, Locations & Facts
The atrocities committed by the Nazis during World War II are innumerable. Many of these atrocities occurred at the concentration camps they created to imprison, and usually kill, anyone considered an enemy of Germany.
9. The Holocaust & The Bystander Effect Lesson Plan
This lesson plan is a tool for helping students learn about the bystander effect that occurred during the Holocaust. Students will be able to describe the bystander effect and recognize how the Nazi regime encouraged German citizens to remain apathetic to Jewish neighbors.
10. Holocaust Lesson Plan
Teaching about the Holocaust can be tough. Ease the process and touch a nerve with students with the help of a pointed video lesson and authentic materials that solidify understanding.
11. Holocaust Timeline Lesson Plan
This lesson plan supports teachers as they create lessons about the holocaust for their students. Students will read two text lessons and work collaboratively with peers to create a timeline of events.
12. Holocaust Teaching Activities
From a social justice standpoint, few historic events provide more discussion material and applicable lessons than the Holocaust. The activities in this resource will enhance your middle and high school students' understanding of this tragic event.
13. Holocaust Unit Plan
Planning a Holocaust unit is a daunting task. In this unit plan, high school students will follow the progression of the Holocaust, from beginning to end. Through discussion and projects, lessons will stick with them long after the unit concludes.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the World History Since 1900: Lesson Plans & Resources course
- World War I Lesson Plans
- Russian Revolution & Communist Era Lesson Plans
- World War II Lesson Plans
- World War II Diplomacy Lesson Plans
- Pacific Theater of World War II Lesson Plans
- Atomic Bombs Lesson Plans & Resources
- Cultural Revolution in China Lesson Plans & Resources
- Modern African History Lesson Plans
- Vietnam & Cold Wars Lesson Plans