About This Chapter
The Human Female Reproductive System - Chapter Summary
During the process of going through these lessons, you will deepen your knowledge of the human female reproductive system. Some of the topics covered include the uterine cycle and reproductive technologies. This interactive chapter can also assist you with understanding the ethics of assisted reproduction practices. After reviewing the lessons, you should be ready to:
- Discuss functions and structures of the female reproductive system
- Realize the purpose of the three layers of the uterus
- Describe the function of the cervix
- Identify the follicle and corpus luteum on a diagram
- Explain how the reproductive system produces eggs
- Understand the brain's interaction with the ovaries
- Outline the follicular and luteal phases of the ovarian cycle
- Know the structures that make up the HPG axis
- List major viral sexually transmitted diseases
These lessons can assist you with quickly getting up to speed on the human female reproductive system. Vocabulary words are highlighted in bold for quick reference and video timelines let you easily navigate to specific topics. You can also use the Help feature to submit questions to instructors if you get stuck on a topic.
1. Female Reproductive System: Functions & Structures
The primary function of the female reproductive system is to produce offspring. In this lesson, you'll travel through the female reproductive system. Along the way, you'll learn about important structures and the roles they play in creating life.
2. The Uterus and Uterine Wall: Structure and Parts
Learn all about the structure responsible for the development of babies in this lesson on uterine anatomy. Discover the three layers of the uterus and each layer's purpose.
3. Cervix: Definition, Anatomy & Function
The cervix is a prominent and dynamic part of the female reproductive system. Here we will examine the definition of the cervix, the structure, and function and will finish up with a short quiz to test your understanding.
4. Follicle & Corpus Luteum: Location within the Ovary
The female reproductive system is quite fascinating. This lesson will explore the ovary and explain how to identify the follicle and the corpus luteum on diagrams.
5. Oogenesis: How the Female Reproductive System Produces Eggs
Did you know that a human female already has all of the oocytes that she will make in her entire life before she is even born? In this lesson, you'll learn how the human body produces an ovum through the process of oogenesis. You'll also learn how polar bodies help to ensure that female gametes are of high quality even though they are not produced in high quantities.
6. HPG Axis: Hormonal Control of the Ovarian Cycle
Everything in the female reproductive system is connected. See how the brain interacts with the ovaries during the female's ovarian cycle in this lesson covering the female HPG axis.
7. Follicular Phase of the Ovarian Cycle
The female gamete, the oocyte, grows and matures in a process known as the ovarian cycle. Learn about the first part of the ovarian cycle, the follicular phase, in this lesson.
8. Luteal Phase of the Ovarian Cycle
Each month, the ovaries recruit and mature a subset of oocytes in preparation for ovulation. Learn what happens after ovulation occurs in the second phase of the ovarian cycle, known as the luteal phase.
9. The Uterine Cycle: Phases and Endometrial Changes
Just like a woman's ovaries go through the monthly cycle of recruiting eggs, her uterus also goes through a monthly cycle as it prepares for the possible implantation of a fertilized egg. This lesson will introduce you to the phases and hormones of the female's uterine cycle.
10. Sexually Transmitted Infections: Types, Transmission, Symptoms & Treatments
This lesson will teach you about three major bacterial and three important viral sexually transmitted diseases, what problems they cause, and how they are treated.
11. Reproductive Technologies: Definition, Examples & Risks
If a man and woman cannot naturally conceive a child, they have many options at their disposal to try and become pregnant. All of them are a form of assisted reproductive technology.
12. The Ethics of Assisted Reproduction Practices
Imagine this...dreaming about having a baby and being told its not possible. Well, at least not in the conventional way. What other options are there? In this lesson, learn about just some of the reproductive technologies we have to help women become pregnant.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Alberta Education Diploma - Biology 30: Exam Prep & Study Guide course
- Overview of Experimental Design
- Cellular Level of the Nervous System
- Function & Parts of the Nervous System
- Sensation & Perception in Biology
- Function & Parts of the Endocrine System
- The Human Male Reproductive System
- Chromosomes & Sex Characteristics
- Early Development to Childbirth in Humans
- Mitosis & Meiosis Overview
- Chromosomes & Chromosome Disorders
- Genotypes & Phenotypes
- Genomes, Genes & Alleles
- Genetic Inheritance & Pedigrees
- DNA Sequencing & Replication
- Transcription & Translation in DNA & RNA
- Genetic Variability & Analytic Methods
- Ecology, Ecosystems & the Environment
- Population Change in Biology
- Alberta Education Diploma - Biology 30 Flashcards