About This Chapter
The Human Male Reproductive System - Chapter Summary
As you go through these lessons on the human male reproductive system, you will learn about the HPG axis and see how the male reproductive system produces sperm. You will also review terms related to testicular anatomy. By the end of the chapter, you should be ready to:
- Explain how structures of the male reproductive system work together to produce semen
- Discuss the function and anatomy of the male testes and learn about testosterone production
- Recognize the vasa deferentia in a diagram
- Describe how seminal vesicles contribute to semen production
- List the steps necessary to produce a sperm cell
- Discuss how sperm travel from the testes to the urethral orifice
- Explain how the male brain uses hormones to communicate with other parts of the body
You can review all the lessons on the human male reproductive system or just specific topics. While going through these lessons, you will find that they are presented in a way that is easy to comprehend. Additionally, quizzes are provided for each lesson to test your understanding of the topics covered.
1. Functions & Structures of the Male Reproductive System
This lesson is going to cover the basic structures and functions that are a part of the male reproductive system. We will look at how these structures work together to allow for semen production and ejaculation.
2. Testicular Anatomy: Structure, Terms & Diagrams
Ever wonder about where sperm is made? Find out in this lesson covering the function and anatomy of the male testes. We'll talk about sperm and testosterone production and how the two work together.
3. Vasa Deferentia: Definition, Structure & Function
The male reproductive system is riddled with scary sounding vocabulary. We will unpack this information so you can understand the male reproductive system, specifically the vasa deferentia.
4. Seminal Vesicles: Definition & Function
Semen is the fluid produced by the male reproductive system to carry sperm. Seminal vesicles play a major role in the production of semen. This lesson discusses seminal vesicles and their contribution to semen production.
5. Spermatogenesis: How the Male Reproductive System Produces Sperm
In this lesson, you'll learn the series of steps necessary to produce a fully functional sperm cell. You'll also look at the structure of a sperm cell and see how it's equipped to venture forth into new territory.
6. Sperm's Journey from the Testes to Urethral Orifice
Follow newly created sperm as they make their way from their origin of creation, the male testes, all the way to the exit of the male reproductive tract.
7. The HPG Axis: Hormones of Male Reproduction
Do you know how your body communicates? How does the brain get in touch with other parts of the body? In this lesson, you will learn about how the male's brain uses hormones to communicate to the testes as a way of regulating reproduction.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Alberta Education Diploma - Biology 30: Exam Prep & Study Guide course
- Overview of Experimental Design
- Cellular Level of the Nervous System
- Function & Parts of the Nervous System
- Sensation & Perception in Biology
- Function & Parts of the Endocrine System
- The Human Female Reproductive System
- Chromosomes & Sex Characteristics
- Early Development to Childbirth in Humans
- Mitosis & Meiosis Overview
- Chromosomes & Chromosome Disorders
- Genotypes & Phenotypes
- Genomes, Genes & Alleles
- Genetic Inheritance & Pedigrees
- DNA Sequencing & Replication
- Transcription & Translation in DNA & RNA
- Genetic Variability & Analytic Methods
- Ecology, Ecosystems & the Environment
- Population Change in Biology
- Alberta Education Diploma - Biology 30 Flashcards