About This Chapter
The Importance of Business Continuity Planning - Chapter Summary
These lessons provide a solid foundation on the importance of business continuity planning and developing contingency and disaster recovery plans. Our instructors explain just what goes into such planning and some of the specific risks a business should prepare for. Specifically, these videos address:
- Business continuity planning
- Business disaster recovery plans
- Contingency planning
- Risk management for IT systems
- How business decisions impact stake holders
Fitting these videos into a busy office schedule is easy. With each lesson coming in at just about five minutes, you can slip them into the schedule one-by-one throughout the week or set aside just a couple of hours to complete them and discuss their content with your staff. Use the lesson quizzes as a group discussion tool and have your managerial staff complete the chapter test to ensure they retained key details.
How It Helps
- Deepens understanding: Managers who complete these lessons will approach contingency planning not simply as a check-the-block exercise, but with a full understanding of the importance of their planning and what kinds of risks they need to anticipate.
- Builds resilience: Having your entire management staff aware of risks to revenue and thinking of ways to mitigate that risk can drastically increase your organization's ability to hold the line against myriad difficulties.
- Expands foresight: It is often easier to come up with goals than it is to predict challenges to those goals; these lessons will help your managers put their mission into environmental context to develop realistic long-term plans.
By the end of this chapter, managerial employees will be able to:
- Define business continuity planning and explain its methodology
- Describe and prepare a business disaster recovery plan
- Illuminate the business impact analysis process and how it effects contingency planning
- Conduct risk management for information technology risks
- Understand the impact business decisions have on stakeholders
1. The Effect of Business Impact Analysis on Contingency Planning
In this lesson, we will look at why a business impact analysis is important in contingency planning, and we will learn how prior planning helps a business to continue operating after a disaster.
2. Practical Application: Using Business Impact Analysis in Contingency Planning
Regardless of planning, nearly all organizations are vulnerable to disasters of various kinds. This scenario will allow you to apply your knowledge of contingency planning to a fictional but realistic scenario.
3. Risk Management for Information Technology
In this lesson, we'll learn about risk management in an IT setting and how to develop and enact responses to risks in the workplace. Take a short quiz afterward to test your knowledge.
4. The Impact of Business Decisions on Stakeholders
In this lesson, you will learn about the impact of business decisions on stakeholders and the various difficulties in making appropriate ethical decisions that result in fair outcomes for all constituents.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Executing a Business Impact Analysis course