About This Chapter
The Importance of Effective Listening - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
Effective listening is a key component of successful communication. In this chapter, you will learn about the importance of effective listening, how it happens in different steps and how each step is defined. You will also learn additional information, such as what it means to be an effective listener and obstacles to effective listening in the workplace. Once you have finished watching your lessons, you can take short quizzes to evaluate your learning. This chapter will teach you:
- How to recognize the various phases of communication
- How to identify challenges to effective listening
- The techniques that are used for effective listening in the workplace
- The impact of culture and gender on listening
|Stages of Listening: Definitions & Process||Classify the stages of listening.|
|Effective Listening: Definition & Obstacles||Define effective listening and identify obstacles to it.|
|What Is Effective Listening in the Workplace? - Definition, Techniques & Barriers||Discover the best techniques for effective listening at work along with barriers.|
|The Role of Culture & Gender in Listening||Identify how culture and gender influence listening.|
1. Stages of Listening: Definitions & Process
What does listening entail? There's more to it than meets the... ear. In this lesson, explore the five stages of listening and test your understanding, and listening, with a brief quiz.
2. Effective Listening: Definition & Obstacles
It seems counterintuitive that a public speaker should focus on effective listening. However, a good public speaker must know a few things about his audience in order to effectively communicate his message.
3. What Is Effective Listening in the Workplace? - Definition, Techniques & Barriers
Effective listening skills allow individuals to retain information by showing interest, listening and providing feedback to the other party in the communication exchange. There are specific techniques that will help individuals overcome listening barriers.
4. What Is Active Listening? - Techniques, Definition & Examples
Have you ever felt that you had been heard but not understood? If so, chances are that the person you were talking with was not actively listening.This lesson defines active listening and provides specific techniques that can be used.
5. The Role of Culture & Gender in Listening
Are women better listeners than men? Does culture affect how you listen? In this lesson, we'll look at the listening styles of men and women, as well as those found in the East and the West.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Communications 102: Interpersonal Communication course
- Overview of Interpersonal Communication
- The Impact of Culture on Interpersonal Communication
- Perception & Self-Awareness in Interpersonal Communication
- Understanding Verbal & Nonverbal Communication
- Overview & Principles of Conversation Management
- Relationship Theory in Interpersonal Communication
- Communication in Relationships
- The Process of Conflict Management
- The Role of Power in Interpersonal Relationships
- Emotions & Emotional Expression
- Communication Between Family & Friends
- Interpersonal Communication in Love & Relationships
- Interpersonal Communication in the Workplace
- Computer-Mediated Communication
- Studying for Communications 102