About This Chapter
The Importance of Ethics in Advertising - Chapter Summary
Gain greater insight into the importance of ethics in advertising with help from this self-paced chapter. Our instructors have developed fun lessons you can use to strengthen your knowledge of abuses in advertising, Internet marketing trends, target marketing and more. Test your comprehension of these and other topics by taking multiple-choice quizzes and a practice exam. If you develop questions while studying the lessons, don't hesitate to submit them to our experts. All of these resources are available around-the-clock via any computer, smartphone or tablet. When you've finished with this chapter, you will have the knowledge to:
- Define and share examples of advertising
- Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of using advertising
- Describe ethics and ethical behavior in marketing
- Share details about ethical and unethical target marketing in business
- Explain how advertising is regulated and can be abused
- Detail the history of Internet marketing and discuss current trends
1. What is Advertising? - Definition & Examples
The greatest product or service in the world won't make money unless consumers know it exists. In this lesson, you'll learn the definition of advertising, common advertising media, and read some examples of effective advertising.
2. Using Advertising: Advantages & Disadvantages
Advertising is a tool, and like any other tool, it can be used as an implement for good or not-so-good. In this lesson, we will discuss the uses of advertising for positive purposes, and highlight how ads can have harmful effects as well.
3. Ethical Behavior in Marketing: What Are Marketing Ethics?
Watch our lesson to learn the definition of ethics and how it relates to business and marketing. You will also learn about the idea of ethical business behavior.
4. Ethical & Unethical Target Marketing in Business
Companies are desperate to acquire customers, and some will use inappropriate ways to gain their attention. In this lesson, you'll learn how to discern ethical from unethical target marketing, using the example of marketing to vulnerable populations.
5. Advertising Abuses & Regulation
Companies do not always act ethically when trying to persuade consumers to purchase their products. In this lesson, we will discuss the various ways in which advertising can be abused and take a look at controversial advertising and regulation of advertising.
6. Trends in Internet Marketing
In this lesson, we will explore the history of internet marketing and the marketing trends seen online today. Topics discussed in this lesson are email marketing, search engine optimization, content marketing, and social media marketing.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the UExcel Business Ethics: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Business, Government & Society Overview
- Understanding Business Ethics
- The Interaction of Business, Government & Society
- Understanding Management & Stakeholders in Business
- Public Affairs & Crisis Management for Business
- Employer-Employee Relationships
- Promoting Diversity in the Workforce
- Stockholders & Corporate Governance
- Corporate Social Responsibility & the Community
- Consumer Rights & Protections
- Business & Special Interest Groups
- The US Government & Legislation
- Regulations & Public Policy for Business
- The Judicial Branch of the US Government
- Business & Antitrust Laws
- Global Business Environment Overview
- Understanding International Trade & Business Law
- Understanding Technology in Business
- Understanding Environmental Issues in Business